The one good thing about hot summer weather is that we tend to eat less. More than ever, I am craving fresh, healthy salads. So I like to take advantage of that craving as much as possible. We have been enjoying Grilled Romaine Caesar at least once a week here. My other current favorite is Olive Oil Poached Cod Salad. I was so happy when Keith decided to add a kale salad to the mix. Leaning into some Mediterranean inspired flavors, he created this Kale & Cous Cous Salad with a spectacular lemon vinaigrette that I can’t stop thinking about.
Keith has had a lot of practice when it comes to creating great salads. He will tell you that “it’s all about the dressing”, and how a homemade vinaigrette can add just the right bit of newness to a simple salad. He loves to experiment with herbs from our garden and other fresh ingredients to add just the right “kick” to a bowl of greens.
Chef's tip: use a mortar & pestle to ground herbs together before adding them to the dressing.
Kale is a great base for this salad because it is firm and flavorful. It can hold the dressing and the other ingredients without getting soggy. I love kale, but I understand not everyone shares my feeling. So a good substitution would for kale would be mixed greens with radicchio. Fresh tomatoes (we use vine-ripened or cherry) add a hint of acid & sweetness, and cashews add that crunch that I always look for. Grains in salads are a new passion of ours (try our Grilled Peach & Farro Salad). They round out the dish and really make it feel like a summer main course, not just a side. In this case, cous cous does the trick. This is my kind of warm weather meal.Print
This Mediterranean inspired Kale & Cous Cous Salad is what summer is all about. Fresh, crisp veggies topped with a lemon herb vinaigrette.
For the Salad:
- 1 quart chopped kale
- 1 C cooked cous cous
- ½ C canned chick peas
- ½ C cashews
- 1 C diced tomatoes
- 1 C diced cucumbers
- 1 C feta cheese, crumbled
For the Dressing:
- ¼ C fresh lemon juice
- ¾ C olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp coarse salt
To make the dressing:
- Using a mortar and pestle, combine rosemary, fennel seeds, garlic and salt and grind until a fine consistency is achieved.
- Transfer to large mixing bowl. Add lemon juice and mix.
- Using a whisk, constantly whisk while slowly drizzling in olive oil until well combined.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss until combined.
- Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Grind in fresh black pepper to taste.
- a mesclun mix (mixed greens) with radicchio can be substituted for kale as a base.
- almonds or walnuts can be used in place of cashews (we prefer them lightly toasted).
- use a mortar & pestle to ground up herbs before adding them to the dressing. It brings out the flavor.
Keywords: salad, Mediterranean, kale, cous cous, vegetarian, evoo, olive oil