Layers of thinly sliced russet potatoes, leeks, and rosemary make this savory potato tart a family favorite at our house.
- For the crust:
- 1 3/4 C all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick of cold butter or margarine
- ice water
- For the filling:
- 2 lb russet potatoes
- 1/2 C sliced leeks
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 C diced red pepper
- 1/2 C shredded parmesan cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine flour,garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Cut butter into small pieces and add to flour. Using hands slowly break up butter into flour while lightly squeezing through hands, combining with flour until dough resembles pea like pieces.
- Add 3-4 Tablespoons of ice water and mix until dough forms a large ball.
- Add water 1 tbsp. at a time if dough is too dry.
- Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minute (up to overnight).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Using a 10" tart pan with false bottom roll out dough and press into pan and trim excess dough off edges.
- Using a mandolin, slice potatoes very thin and soak in ice water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and allow to dry for 5 minutes.
- Arrange potatoes in pan using a shingle like pattern. Once you have a layer, sprinkle with half the rosemary and half the leeks.
- Repeat with potatoes, leeks and rosemary.
- Combine cream and nutmeg and slowly pour over potatoes allowing it to settle down into the potatoes.
- Shred Parmesan cheese over top and sprinkle red peppers on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until crust and top of tart is browned.
Keywords: potato, tart, tatin, leek, leeks, rosemary, dinner, fall, autumn, pie, vegetarian