A Savory Potato Tart is elegant potato dish, filled with fresh cream and surrounded by flaky pie crust.Potatoes. This simple, yet perfect food is often on my mind and always in my pantry. I will eat them just about any way they are prepared. My absolute favorite is our Amazing Mashed Potatoes, but I don’t discriminate. I eat them baked, fried, boiled, sautéed… you name it. Superman Cooks readers know that potatoes are one food that I cannot live without. It’s kind of a joke around here that we serve potatoes at every meal, but that is simply not the case. Jackie has insisted that we incorporate more healthy options in our menus, and I agree (or at least I’ll say I agree with her while I’m busy coming up with new ways of inserting potatoes into our diet).Now Jackie is way too smart not to catch on to what I am doing. But this Savory Potato Tart was so delicious that it caused her a momentary suspension of disbelief. I could have tried to pass it off as a quiche, but since it had no eggs in it this would not work. We decided to enjoy this potato tart for lunch, coupled with a simple salad. It was the perfect, comforting meal. The potatoes are sliced so thin that they hold the texture and the flavors of cream, cheese and leeks.
What I particularly like about this recipe is that I spiced the crust up a bit and added a hint of nutmeg to the cream. All of the flavors combined perfectly to make this recipe come to life. The leeks give it just the right amount of bite and the cheese adds a salty and nuttiness as well. The touch of rosemary ties it all together. This Potato Tart heats up well the next day, making for a comforting winter meal. I have endless ideas for potatoes swirling around in my head, and will always find ways to integrate my favorite food into our menus.
- For the crust:
- 1 ¾ C all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 stick of cold butter or margarine
- ice water
- For the filling:
- 2 lb russet potatoes
- ½ C sliced leeks
- ½ C heavy cream
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ¼ C diced red pepper
- ½ C shredded parmesan cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine flour,garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Cut butter into small pieces and add to flour. Using hands slowly break up butter into flour while lightly squeezing through hands, combining with flour until dough resembles pea like pieces.
- Add 3-4 Tablespoons of ice water and mix until dough forms a large ball.
- Add water 1 tbsp. at a time if dough is too dry.
- Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minute (up to overnight).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Using a 10" tart pan with false bottom roll out dough and press into pan and trim excess dough off edges.
- Using a mandolin, slice potatoes very thin and soak in ice water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and allow to dry for 5 minutes.
- Arrange potatoes in pan using a shingle like pattern. Once you have a layer, sprinkle with half the rosemary and half the leeks.
- Repeat with potatoes, leeks and rosemary.
- Combine cream and nutmeg and slowly pour over potatoes allowing it to settle down into the potatoes.
- Shred Parmesan cheese over top and sprinkle red peppers on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until crust and top of tart is browned.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Entree or Side dish
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: potato, tart, tatin, leek, leeks, rosemary, dinner, fall, autumn, pie, vegetarian