Ditch the box for good! Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese is a deliciously rich & creamy dish that is the essence of comfort food.
1 lb of macaroni (your choice)
6 oz cream cheese
8 oz smoked gouda
4 tbsp butter
6 slices bacon
1 C heavy cream
1 C milk
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
2 tsp white pepper
- Bring water to boil in large pot and add pasta and cook until al dente.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- When pasta is done, drain pasta reserving 1 C of pasta water.
- Return pasta to pot and add butter, cream cheese and pasta water.
- Heat over medium low heat until cream cheese has melted.
- Add shredded gouda cheese along with milk and heavy cream and cook stirring often over low heat until sauce thickens. If needed you can add more milk to desired consistency.
- In a saute pan cook bacon until crispy and remove from pan reserving 1/4 C bacon grease.
- Chop bacon up into small pieces.
- Using an oven safe 4 qt container add bacon grease and rub sides to coat.
- Transfer mac and cheese to container and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped bacon.
Keywords: macaroni, smoky, gouda, cheese, bacon, creamy, hearty, mac and cheese, pasta, comfort food