Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese with Bacon is a rich and creamy indulgence that will make you ditch the box for good.
Decadent foods like this are not exactly part of our menu planning right now. It is January after all, a time for renewing our good intentions to eat healthy, get more rest, and exercise. There is truly no room in that plan for mac & cheese… with bacon. But Keith and I are not exactly “all or nothing” kind of people, especially when it comes to food.
So when my superman came to me one day and told me he was craving a rich and creamy mac & cheese and that he had this recipe in mind that he wanted to try, I simply couldn’t say no. I left him in the kitchen, ran off to SoulCycle to burn some extra calories, and prepared to come home to a carb feast fit for a queen.
I hate to say this in January, but it was all worth it. Keith used smoked gouda and a blend of creamy ingredients to create this masterpiece known as Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese with Bacon. It is a deliciously decadent meal that is the essence of comfort food, especially on a cold winter day. It beats the boxed stuff hands down, and I don’t regret enjoying every last bite. It’s important to indulge every once in a while. Now, back to Kale Salad.Print
Ditch the box for good! Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese is a deliciously rich & creamy dish that is the essence of comfort food.
1 lb of macaroni (your choice)
6 oz cream cheese
8 oz smoked gouda
4 tbsp butter
6 slices bacon
1 C heavy cream
1 C milk
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
2 tsp white pepper
- Bring water to boil in large pot and add pasta and cook until al dente.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- When pasta is done, drain pasta reserving 1 C of pasta water.
- Return pasta to pot and add butter, cream cheese and pasta water.
- Heat over medium low heat until cream cheese has melted.
- Add shredded gouda cheese along with milk and heavy cream and cook stirring often over low heat until sauce thickens. If needed you can add more milk to desired consistency.
- In a saute pan cook bacon until crispy and remove from pan reserving ¼ C bacon grease.
- Chop bacon up into small pieces.
- Using an oven safe 4 qt container add bacon grease and rub sides to coat.
- Transfer mac and cheese to container and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped bacon.
Keywords: macaroni, smoky, gouda, cheese, bacon, creamy, hearty, mac and cheese, pasta, comfort food