Pillowy-soft, homemade sweet potato gnocchi drizzled with pumpkin brown butter & crispy sage is what fall is all about.
For the Gnocchi:
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 2 C flour, plus extra for kneading
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/4 C parmesan cheese
For the sauce:
- 6 Tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 C canned pumpkin
- 1/2 C milk or cream
- 5-6 sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut potatoes in half and place cut side down on baking sheet brushed with oil and bake for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool enough to be able to handle and scoop potato from skin and place in large mixing bowl.
- Smash potatoes using a potato masher.
- Add garlic, parm cheese, 1 tsp salt and egg and yolk and combine.
- Add flour to mix a little at a time and mix until mixture forms a workable dough.
- Take a large meatball-sized piece of dough and roll on floured surface into a large rope about 1/4 in diameter. Cut rope into 1/2 inch pieces and form into crescents with your fingers ( this step of the shape is optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and drop pasta into water and cook until gnocchi floats.
- Remove from water and place in bowl.
To make sauce:
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat until melted, being careful to adjust heat as needed to brown butter, not burn.
- Rough chop sage leaves. Place in butter and cook for 2-3 minutes over low heat.
- Add gnocchi and cook until slightly browned about 3 minutes.
- Add pumpkin and mix, then add milk and mix until well combined, add salt to taste (approx 1 tsp).
Keywords: gnocchi, pumpkin, brown butter, fall, pasta, sweet potato, vegetarian, homemade