Gobs of fudge, loads of toasted almonds, and real dark chocolate make this homemade Toasted Almond Fudge Ice Cream a must have summer treat!
- 2 C half & half
- 1 C heavy cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/3 C cocoa powder
- 6 oz dark chocolate shaved (we used a Ghirardelli dark chocolate bar)
- 1/2 C hot fudge
- 1/2 C almonds
- Place half & half and cocoa powder in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat. Heat until mixture starts to boil.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and egg yolks and beat until pale and smooth (about 3-4 minutes).
- Remove a third of the egg mixture and whisk it into the warm milk and cocoa mix until smooth.
- While whisking, constantly add milk mixture to remaining egg mix.
- Return mix to sauce pan and heat over low until mixture thickens and reaches 170°.
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove any egg that may have cooked in the process.
- Add whipping cream and stir.
- Transfer to air tight container and allow to cool overnight. Make sure at this time you have placed your ice cream container in the freezer to freeze.
- In a small sauce pan, place almonds and heat over medium high heat for 6-8 minutes tossing until toasted. Chop in medium fine pieces.
- Place cooled mixture into the ice cream frozen container and mix per instructions.
- When ice cream is a soft serve consistency, add shaved chocolate and almonds.
- Transfer to bread pan (we suggest a metal pan). Swirl hot fudge (at room temperature) and cover with plastic wrap.
- Transfer to freezer and allow to freeze until solid.
Keywords: ice cream, homemade, fudge, almond, toasted, chocolate, dark, rich, Friendly's, nuts, Ghirardelli