- 2 C half & half
- 1 C heavy cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/3 C cocoa powder
- 6 oz dark chocolate shaved (we used a Ghirardelli dark chocolate bar)
- 1/2 C hot fudge
- 1/2 C almonds
- Place half & half and cocoa powder in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat. Heat until mixture starts to boil.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and egg yolks and beat until pale and smooth (about 3-4 minutes).
- Remove a third of the egg mixture and whisk it into the warm milk and cocoa mix until smooth.
- While whisking, constantly add milk mixture to remaining egg mix.
- Return mix to sauce pan and heat over low until mixture thickens and reaches 170°.
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove any egg that may have cooked in the process.
- Add whipping cream and stir.
- Transfer to air tight container and allow to cool overnight. Make sure at this time you have placed your ice cream container in the freezer to freeze.
- In a small sauce pan, place almonds and heat over medium high heat for 6-8 minutes tossing until toasted. Chop in medium fine pieces.
- Place cooled mixture into the ice cream frozen container and mix per instructions.
- When ice cream is a soft serve consistency, add shaved chocolate and almonds.
- Transfer to bread pan (we suggest a metal pan). Swirl hot fudge (at room temperature) and cover with plastic wrap.
- Transfer to freezer and allow to freeze until solid.
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 439
- Sugar: 30.9 g
- Sodium: 141.5 mg
- Fat: 25.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.1 g
- Protein: 9.4 g
- Cholesterol: 205.9 mg
Keywords: ice cream, homemade, fudge, almond, toasted, chocolate, dark, rich, Friendly's, nuts, Ghirardelli