Ice cream makes everything better. I learned that long ago, when my father would offer to take me and my brother on a trip to the ice cream shop to celebrate baseball victories, losses, or just for a much needed cold treat on a hot summer day. Back then (before cookie dough and chubby hubby) my favorite flavor was always chocolate almond. Even then I preferred texture in my food, and Friendly’s had a flavor called Toasted Almond Fudge that was my favorite.
When I shared this information with Keith, he smiled with recognition. He had worked at Friendly’s when we was young, and he remembered the Toasted Almond Fudge Ice Cream well. His memories were not nostalgically happy like mine though; he hated scooping hard ice cream out of cold containers.
Nevertheless, Keith kindly agreed to whip up a batch of my childhood favorite Toasted Almond Fudge Ice Cream using our ice cream maker at home. He used three kinds of chocolate to make it extra decadent, and toasted the almonds (of course!) to impart some super rich flavors. Honestly, this ice cream is even better than my childhood memories. With this stuff in the house, who needs Ben & Jerry?Print
- 2 C half & half
- 1 C heavy cream
- 8 egg yolks
- ½ C sugar
- ⅓ C cocoa powder
- 6 oz dark chocolate shaved (we used a Ghirardelli dark chocolate bar)
- ½ C hot fudge
- ½ C almonds
- Place half & half and cocoa powder in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat. Heat until mixture starts to boil.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and egg yolks and beat until pale and smooth (about 3-4 minutes).
- Remove a third of the egg mixture and whisk it into the warm milk and cocoa mix until smooth.
- While whisking, constantly add milk mixture to remaining egg mix.
- Return mix to sauce pan and heat over low until mixture thickens and reaches 170°.
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove any egg that may have cooked in the process.
- Add whipping cream and stir.
- Transfer to air tight container and allow to cool overnight. Make sure at this time you have placed your ice cream container in the freezer to freeze.
- In a small sauce pan, place almonds and heat over medium high heat for 6-8 minutes tossing until toasted. Chop in medium fine pieces.
- Place cooled mixture into the ice cream frozen container and mix per instructions.
- When ice cream is a soft serve consistency, add shaved chocolate and almonds.
- Transfer to bread pan (we suggest a metal pan). Swirl hot fudge (at room temperature) and cover with plastic wrap.
- Transfer to freezer and allow to freeze until solid.
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 439
- Sugar: 30.9 g
- Sodium: 141.5 mg
- Fat: 25.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.1 g
- Protein: 9.4 g
- Cholesterol: 205.9 mg
Keywords: ice cream, homemade, fudge, almond, toasted, chocolate, dark, rich, Friendly's, nuts, Ghirardelli