Easy, garden fresh Tomato Jalapeño Jam is the perfect accompaniment to any cheese board. It's spicy, a touch of sweet, and very addictive.
- 2 C chopped tomatoes (fresh)
- 2 green onions
- 3 jalapeños
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 C chopped cilantro
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1/2 C water
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp pepper corns
- Cut peppers in quarters lengthwise and remove seeds for a milder heat profile.
- In a medium sauce pan, place sugar and water and heat over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Add pepper strips and continue to cook for 10 minutes on medium-low.
- While peppers are cooking, use a mortar and pestle to crush the garlic, peppercorns, and cumin seeds.
- After the jalapeño mixture has cooked, remove peppers, save for later, and transfer liquid to a dish and refrigerate until cool.
- In your same pan, add oil and chopped green onions, tomatoes and spice mixture and cook 10-15 minutes over medium until mixture has thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat and add cilantro and reserved liquid.
- Mix and then add chopped pepper strips.
- Refrigerate in covered container for at least 1 hour before serving.
Keywords: jam, tomato, jalapeño, savory, cheese board, grazing board, appetizer, spicy