Summertime is the time for impromptu gatherings, especially now that we can be social again. Imagine seeing friends out one day as you are strolling through your favorite farmers market. You haven’t seen them in years, so you get to talking and then you extend an invitation to come over for drinks and snacks. If you're like us, you usually have a stash of different cheeses in the fridge and crackers in the pantry. We usually have some homemade crackers and some kind of Hummus at home. But if we're having guests, we like to try to have something unique to add to the display. That's why I created this Tomato Jalapeño Jam.
This recipe is a perfect accompaniment to any charcuterie board and works perfectly with some mild and creamy cheeses and some artisan crackers like La Panzenella Mini Croccantini (our new favorite!). They are perfectly crisp and light with a hint of sea salt, and they pair well with this savory jam. The heat of the peppers and creaminess of the cheese balance each other well.
This Tomato Jalapeño Jam is perfect to make ahead and keep handy in the fridge, for those unexpected moments. Jackie loves to entertain and grazing boards happen to be on her menu for most occasions. Add fruit, honey, and a few flowers for decoration and your guests will be asking you for the secret recipe! As always, direct them right here for the simple instructions to make this for themselves.Print
- 2 C chopped tomatoes (fresh)
- 2 green onions
- 3 jalapeños
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ C chopped cilantro
- ¼ C vegetable oil
- ¼ C sugar
- ½ C water
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp pepper corns
- Cut peppers in quarters lengthwise and remove seeds for a milder heat profile.
- In a medium sauce pan, place sugar and water and heat over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Add pepper strips and continue to cook for 10 minutes on medium-low.
- While peppers are cooking, use a mortar and pestle to crush the garlic, peppercorns, and cumin seeds.
- After the jalapeño mixture has cooked, remove peppers, save for later, and transfer liquid to a dish and refrigerate until cool.
- In your same pan, add oil and chopped green onions, tomatoes and spice mixture and cook 10-15 minutes over medium until mixture has thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat and add cilantro and reserved liquid.
- Mix and then add chopped pepper strips.
- Refrigerate in covered container for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: appetizers
- Serving Size: ¼ cup
- Calories: 53
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 3.3 mg
- Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Protein: 0.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: jam, tomato, jalapeño, savory, cheese board, grazing board, appetizer, spicy