Fresh Ahi tuna, a homemade Lemon Aioli & capers bring the taste of the Mediterranean to your family table. This is no ordinary tuna salad.
- 12 oz fresh tuna steaks
- 6 oz white or rosé wine
- 4 top sliced buns
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp black pepper corns
- 1 lemon
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp non-pareil capers
To Poach Fish:
- Place wine in a sauce pan and add pepper corns along with 2 slices lemon and garlic cloves.
- Cook over medium heat and add tuna steaks.
- Cover and turn heat down to low.
- Continue to cook for 6-8 minutes.
- When fish is done, remove from wine, place on dish, and refrigerate until cool.
To make the Aioli:
- Whisk egg yolks rapidly for 2 minutes with a hand whisk. Add 2 tsp lemon juice and rice vinegar and mix.
- While whisking, slowly drizzle in olive oil and continue whisking until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Add cayenne pepper and stir in. Add salt to taste.
Assemble the Tuna Rolls:
- Remove tuna from fridge and flake using a fork (we think it's best to leave flakes large).
- Place tuna in bowl. Add 3 tbsp of aioli at a time and mix gently.
- Add lemon pepper seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add more aioli to suit your preference.
- Serve in a roll, top with capers, and garnish with your choice of greens.
Keywords: tuna, capers, tuna salad, poached, ahi, roll, fish, aioli