We always look forward to summer vacation. For us, that usually means a beach, a city exploration, and of course great food. We never expected that our trip to Europe would be cancelled this year, but we refuse to let this deter us from having a good time. Thanks to Mezzetta, we've planned a special Summer Staycation kind of meal that can transport you to a beach side town with just a few bites.
Inspired by the clean, fresh flavors of the Mediterranean, this wine-poached tuna salad is an elevated take on a family favorite. We used fresh Ahi tuna and made our own lemon aioli. It adds that special something that makes this tuna salad taste a step above the rest. We served it in top-sliced buns (lobster roll style), which reminds us of some of our favorite New England sandwiches. And you can't forget the non-pareil capers! Mezzetta hand picks these from the Mediterranean coastline, so you know the flavor is truly authentic.
How to make Lemon Aioli:
- Whisk 2 egg yolks rapidly for 2 minutes with a hand whisk. Add 2 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon rice vinegar and mix.
- While whisking, slowly drizzle in ¼ C olive oil and continue whisking until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Add ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper and stir in. Add salt to taste.
A great tasting, memorable meal can be the highlight of a summer staycation. These Tuna Salad Rolls can bring the taste of the Mediterranean to your table in just a few easy steps. Serve them with some Mint Lemonade, Cherry Limeade (made with Mezzetta Maraschino Cherries), or our Dirty Lemon Basil Martinis (for an adult style meal). Summer dining has never been better.
This post was created in partnership with Mezzetta. All opinions are our own.Print
Fresh Ahi tuna, a homemade Lemon Aioli & capers bring the taste of the Mediterranean to your family table. This is no ordinary tuna salad.
- 12 oz fresh tuna steaks
- 6 oz white or rosé wine
- 4 top sliced buns
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp black pepper corns
- 1 lemon
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ C olive oil
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp non-pareil capers
To Poach Fish:
- Place wine in a sauce pan and add pepper corns along with 2 slices lemon and garlic cloves.
- Cook over medium heat and add tuna steaks.
- Cover and turn heat down to low.
- Continue to cook for 6-8 minutes.
- When fish is done, remove from wine, place on dish, and refrigerate until cool.
To make the Aioli:
- Whisk egg yolks rapidly for 2 minutes with a hand whisk. Add 2 teaspoon lemon juice and rice vinegar and mix.
- While whisking, slowly drizzle in olive oil and continue whisking until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Add cayenne pepper and stir in. Add salt to taste.
Assemble the Tuna Rolls:
- Remove tuna from fridge and flake using a fork (we think it's best to leave flakes large).
- Place tuna in bowl. Add 3 tablespoon of aioli at a time and mix gently.
- Add lemon pepper seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add more aioli to suit your preference.
- Serve in a roll, top with capers, and garnish with your choice of greens.
Keywords: tuna, capers, tuna salad, poached, ahi, roll, fish, aioli