A fresh tasting custard that has a warm salted caramel banana topping with a touch of sea salt.
- 3/4 C sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 1/4 C whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon banana extract
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 bananas, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tbsp cashew pieces
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk 1/4 C of the sugar and all of the cornstarch together. Whisk in 1/4 C milk and then transfer to medium sauce pan. Add the egg yolks and mix until smooth.Whisk in the remaining milk and bring to a boil over medium heat. Make sure to use a high heat spatula and scrape the sides and bottom of pan to avoid sticking.
- Continue to cook until thickened (about 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and banana extract along with 1 tbsp butter.
- Divide into 4 dessert glasses.
- To caramelize the bananas, combine the remaining 1/2 C sugar and 2 tbsp water in a large skillet. Cook over medium high heat, moving the pan constantly to cook the sugar evenly and cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add the remaining butter, sliced bananas and cashew pieces and cook an additional minute.
- Remove from heat and add salt and stir.
- Spoon over warm pudding and serve