Vanilla Custard with Salted Caramel & Banana is a simple dessert with complex flavor.I think bananas may be my favorite fruit. I love the flavor of bananas in desserts, and I like to eat them as a quick breakfast or meal replacement. This recipe has been swirling around my head as the proverbial “bee in my bonnet”. This is usually a phrase reserved for Jackie; I kindly poke fun at her by using this unusual phrase that she grew up saying. Well now it’s me that’s been stung by the bee.I am not sure where it started, but the idea of bananas and cashews in a recipe has been in my head for a while. I just was not sure what to do with it. I asked Jackie for some help, and together, almost simultaneously we blurted out “salted caramel”. Well it had to be fate. Now we had an idea, we just needed a vessel to support that brilliant flavor combination. Vanilla Custard with Salted Caramel & Banana was coming to life.Sure, we could have done a bread, a muffin, or some other wonderful baked good, but I am not one who loves to bake. I wanted something a little different. I had a recollection of the vanilla wafer and boxed pudding dessert my mom made me when I was younger, and I thought why not create a variation of that. If I do say so myself, this Vanilla Custard with Salted Caramel & Banana is a delicious, elevated take of one of my childhood favorites.
A fresh tasting custard that has a warm salted caramel banana topping with a touch of sea salt.
- ¾ C sugar
- 2 ½ Tbsp corn starch
- 2 ¼ C whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon banana extract
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 bananas, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 tbsp cashew pieces
- ½ tsp sea salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk ¼ C of the sugar and all of the cornstarch together. Whisk in ¼ C milk and then transfer to medium sauce pan. Add the egg yolks and mix until smooth.Whisk in the remaining milk and bring to a boil over medium heat. Make sure to use a high heat spatula and scrape the sides and bottom of pan to avoid sticking.
- Continue to cook until thickened (about 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and banana extract along with 1 tbsp butter.
- Divide into 4 dessert glasses.
- To caramelize the bananas, combine the remaining ½ C sugar and 2 tbsp water in a large skillet. Cook over medium high heat, moving the pan constantly to cook the sugar evenly and cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add the remaining butter, sliced bananas and cashew pieces and cook an additional minute.
- Remove from heat and add salt and stir.
- Spoon over warm pudding and serve