This quintessential summer dessert combines fresh, local strawberries & peaches at the height of their season. Make it à la mode!
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half.
- 2 peaches, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 1/4 C sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 1/2 C light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C quick oats (not instant)
- 1 1/2 sticks cold or frozen butter, diced
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the strawberries and peaches along with the orange zest and half of the white sugar.
- Dissolve the cornstarch with 1/4 C water and then mix into the fruit.
- Pour the fruit mixture into an oven safe container, making sure that you have 2" of pan above the top of fruit.
- Place on sheet tray lined with foil or parchment paper.
- For the topping: place the flour, remaining sugar, brown sugar, salt and oatmeal in a mixing bowl and combine well. Add the butter and mix using your hands, breaking up the butter and mixing into the oatmeal until mixture is crumbly.
- Pour crumble mixture over fruit covering it completely.
- Place in oven and bake for 45-60 minutes until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream or can be refrigerated and warmed in the microwave for 2-3 days.