Warm Strawberry Peach Crumble is a delectable summertime dessert made with fresh ingredients.
Sweets are not my weakness. I’m much more of a savory kind of person. And just like Keith, I have no problem passing on dessert. But put me in front of a good cheese plate and I turn to mush. We bonded over this fact, and we talk about it a lot on superman cooks. If we were being completely transparent, our blog would consist of mostly potatoes (like this Four Cheese Potato Gratin), snacks, and of course, cocktails. But we know that a blog based on potatoes can only go so far. So, when one of us gets the urge to make something sweet, we always go with it.
In this case, I was actually craving a berry dessert. Strawberry season reminds me of berry picking in Michigan with my mom and my grandfather when I was a kid. Freshly picked fruit just makes me happy. It is always extra sweet and juicy, almost like candy. We would always bring baskets home and my mother would make jams and pie fillings (like for her famous Cherry Pie and freeze them for the colder months.
3 Summer Berry Recipes You Can't Live Without:
- Strawberry Chewy Butter Bars: rich & indulgent bars topped with naturally sweetened strawberries are great for kids and adults with a sweet tooth. Get the recipe here.
- Raspberry Sweetheart Swirl Brownies: fresh raspberries combined with swirls of cream cheese take this chocolate dessert to the next level. Grab the recipe here.
- Blueberry Basil Margaritas: sweet, plump blueberries & fresh basil, mixed with orange liqueur, tequila, and tangerine juice for one unforgettable summer sip. Get the recipe here.
This Warm Strawberry Peach Crumble was created based on those memories. Keith and I found some incredible strawberries and peaches at the market, and I asked him to help make a dessert that we could serve with ice cream. I always love a crumble because it has a lovely crunchy texture (like a pie) but it is much easier to make. Even I can’t resist a fresh berry dessert in the summertime.Print
This quintessential summer dessert combines fresh, local strawberries & peaches at the height of their season. Make it à la mode!
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half.
- 2 peaches, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 ¼ C sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 C all purpose flour
- ½ C light brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 C quick oats (not instant)
- 1 ½ sticks cold or frozen butter, diced
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the strawberries and peaches along with the orange zest and half of the white sugar.
- Dissolve the cornstarch with ¼ C water and then mix into the fruit.
- Pour the fruit mixture into an oven safe container, making sure that you have 2" of pan above the top of fruit.
- Place on sheet tray lined with foil or parchment paper.
- For the topping: place the flour, remaining sugar, brown sugar, salt and oatmeal in a mixing bowl and combine well. Add the butter and mix using your hands, breaking up the butter and mixing into the oatmeal until mixture is crumbly.
- Pour crumble mixture over fruit covering it completely.
- Place in oven and bake for 45-60 minutes until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream or can be refrigerated and warmed in the microwave for 2-3 days.