Roasted Pepper Pizza with Arrabbiata Sauce is a delicious, pizzeria style pie you can make at home.
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 1/3 C warm water (110°)
- 3 3/4 C flour (plus 1/2 C extra for kneading)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pint crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 10 basil leaves
- 6–8 small assorted peppers
- 1 C fresh ricotta cheese
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the 110° water and mix in with fingers.
- Let sit until yeast becomes cloudy and creamy.
- In a large bowl combine 3 3/4 C flour and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Add the yeast and water mixture and mix with hook attached to mixer (or by hand) until form a ball.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, adding flour a little at a time.
- Place dough in a large bowl with 2 tbsp oil to coat dough. Cover and place in warm area until dough has doubled (about 2 hours).
- TO PREPARE THE SAUCE:
- Using a medium sauce pan, pour olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, crushed red pepper and black pepper into pan and cook covered over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 4-6 basil leaves torn to sauce and stir in (sauce can be made up to a week in advance).
- To roast peppers, simply turn gas burner on and place directly in flame until peppers are completely blackened and charred. Place on plate and allow to cool. Using your hands, rub charred skin off peppers and chop into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- To prepare pizza, roll dough out on floured surface until its desired thickness.
- Place dough onto pizza pan and top with sauce and roasted pizza and place in oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove pizza and place spoonfuls of ricotta on pizza and return to oven and bake until crust is golden brown. About 7-10 minutes.
- Top with remaining basil leaves and enjoy.
Keywords: pepper, pizza, pizzeria, pie, spicy, homemade, sauce, grilled