Nothing compares to Mom's Cherry Pie.
Cherry Pie for me is many things. It is the final course of a large family meal, greeted with smiles of anticipation; a summer barbecue in rural Ohio; a celebration (with ice cream) of another baseball victory. It is also visits home from college, a long and much-needed chat accompanied by pots of coffee, and my dad: smacking his lips and singing a song.
All of these memories began with one thing: my mother. Usually in her bathrobe, just after sunrise, she would roll out hand-made dough and stir up fillings for some family gathering that was happening that day. Her famous pies are second to none, and her Brandy-Soaked Cherry pie is my dad and I’s hands-down favorite. I still love to wake up in my parents’ house to the smell of my mother’s pies baking in the oven. There is nothing quite like it.
Keith was very quickly ushered in to the tradition of my mother’s pies as dessert from the moment he met my family. I think it is my mother’s way of welcome: to bake you something. Although we have been taught countless times the secrets of her pie crusts and fillings, we continue to strive to get them to taste as good as they do when they emerge from her oven. I truly doubt this will ever happen, but we will keep trying.
This is the best cherry pie you will ever have, hand down. Mom's Brandy-Soaked Cherry pie is an all American family recipe that is lick-your-lips good.
- PIE FILLING:
- 5 cups fresh, pitted cherries
- ¾ cup granulated sugar + 1 tbsp for topping on pie
- 3 Tbsp Minute Tapioca
- 2 Tbsp cherry brandy
- PIE CRUST:
- 3 cups AP flour
- 1 ½ cups Crisco
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 5 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Combine cherries, sugar, tapioca and brandy, stirring until blended together. Set aside
- To make the pie crust:
- Mix together flour, Crisco and salt.
- In a small bowl combine egg, water and vinegar and then combine with flour mixture.
- Mix together until one large dough ball is formed. Divide dough in half and wrap each section in Saran Wrap. Chill at least 30 minutes.
- To assemble pie:
- Roll one half of dough mixture with rolling pin and place in pie baking dish. Fill shell with cherry mixture. Dot top of the mixture with 2-3T sliced pieces of butter. Roll out remaining dough and place on top of the cherry mixture. Flute the edges of the pie crust and sprinkle top with granulated sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, until top is golden brown. You may have to cover pie edge with aluminum if your oven runs hot.
- Allow pie to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Keywords: pie, cherry, brandy, pie crust, American, baked, dessert, fruit