A Smoky José Rum Cocktail is made for a celebration, with fresh pineapple juice, spiced rum and complex, hand-smoked flavor.
We never need a reason to enjoy a cocktail, but Cinco de Mayo is as good a reason as any. Keith and I love Mexican food, but we love Mexican drinks even more. Tequila cocktails are our thing, but this year we decided to offer an interesting alternative. This pineapple rum creation, which we have affectionately named the “Smoky José Rum Cocktail” is just the kind of drink we would like to enjoy to celebrate this Americanized Mexican holiday.
I have a thing for Mezcal. Ever since I first tried it in a fancy mixology joint downtown, I was hooked. I absolutely love the unmistakable smoky flavor, especially when combined with a sweet mixer. No matter how many times I have sung the praises of my favorite spirit, Keith somehow does not share in my affection. So when he came up with the idea of smoking a cocktail to add flavor, he had me at the start.
I had my reservations that this idea would work. It is certainly a good gimmick, but would this method produce that discernible smoky flavor that I desired? The answer is yes! Not only does it look cool, this Smoky José Rum Cocktail is the real thing. The sweet pineapple juice and spiced rum is perfectly accented with this hint of smoky flavor. It is the perfect drink to start off the summer, and to enjoy into the hot summer months. Cheers!
Be sure to try some of our other favorite Cinco de Mayo drinks: Pink Señorita, Iceberg Margarita, Pineapple Margarita with a Kick
A beautiful cocktail with fresh juice, spiced rum and a beautiful hand-smoked flavor.
- 2 oz Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
- 4 oz pineapple juice
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 4–5 wood chips
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the rum, juices, 1/2 C ice and spices and shake vigorously to obtain a foamy cocktail.
- Transfer to a wide mouth glass.
- Place a cocktail strainer over top of glass and top with 4-5 wood chips and light wood chips with torch until on fire.
- Immediately place a second glass over top of wood chips and other glass capturing smoke inside glass.
- Wood chips will extinguish and smoke will fill upper glass infusing the cocktail.
- Remove glass when smoke has diminished.
- Garnish with fresh pineapple wedge and leaf of pineapple.