Classic Pasta Carbonara is an easy to make dish with loads of flavor, paired perfectly with Emmolo Merlot.Classic Pasta Carbonara is one dish that I love to make, love to order in restaurants, and especially love to eat. We were thrilled when our friends at Emmolo Wines asked us to create a Pasta Carbonara recipe to specially pair with their incredible Merlot. Jackie and I love to eat Italian food, and pasta is something we never tire of. I love the simplicity in the preparation of most Italian dishes, and this one is no exception.
Over the years as a chef, I have tried many versions of Pasta Carbonara, served any number of ways. True “carbonara” simply means pasta with eggs and cheese. This could be a creamy base made with bacon and no peas, or one with a very smoky ham, asparagus, and a simple wine butter sauce. I have been making Pasta Carbonara for so long that I don’t remember how or when I arrived at this particular recipe (made with ham, peas and basil). However, I can confidently say that it is my family’s favorite, and it will most certainly become yours too.
Jackie and I are smitten with Emmolo Merlot. This lush and supple wine is well-balanced and earthy; it pairs just as well with this simple pasta dish as it does with red meat. We also happen to love the story of Emmolo’s winemaker, Jenny, whose family history in Napa Valley dates back to the 1850's. Emmolo Merlot has quickly become our favorite red, one that impresses our friends at dinner parties yet easily accompanies a weeknight meal.We love this Classic Pasta Carbonara because it is so easy to make, yet its flavor will impress any guest at your table. A simple dish like this requires less time in the kitchen, which allows for more time with family and friends. Whip up this dish, then grab a bottle of Emmolo Merlot, a loaf of crusty bread, and savor the good things in life.
This post is sponsored by our friends at Emmolo Wines. All opinions are our own.
You can purchase Emmolo Merlot here.
A classic version of a Northern Italian favorite, made with smokey ham and fresh flavors with a perfect al dente bite
- 1 lb vermicelli
- 4 ounces ham
- ¼ red onion sliced very thin
- 3 eggs
- 4 tbsp butter divided
- cracked black pepper to taste
- ½ C fresh or frozen peas
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 basil leaves
- Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tbsp butter, and onion and chopped garlic.
- Julienne ham into matchstick size pieces and add to skillet. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- When pasta is done, drain and add to sauté pan. Add remaining butter and mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, crack and scramble 3 eggs. Add eggs to saute pan and continue to stir until eggs have cooked into pasta. Add peas and toss.
- Transfer to serving platter and top with julienned basil, grated parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper.
- Before serving, drizzle with olive oil to taste.