Light, satisfying summer fare is what’s on the menu daily here at Superman Cooks. As we enter into our fifth month of working from home, we are more inspired than ever to experiment with new recipes. Summer is the best time to do that, with so many fresh & flavorful vegetables available for the picking.
When our friends at Mer Soleil asked us to come up with some summer pairings for their SILVER unoaked chardonnay, we strongly believed that a fish tostada would measure up. But we knew we needed to add that “special something” to make it worthy of this special wine. Pickled veggies and & special sauce would do the trick. Inspired by our favorite Banh Mi sandwiches, these Vietnamese Style Fish Tostadas are a deliciously satisfying summer meal that is perfectly complemented by a glass of SILVER.
How to Pickle Veggies (carrots, radishes, onions):
- Peel and shred 3 carrots and place in a heat resistant jar (one you can cover and refrigerate).
- Place 1 sliced onions and 1 cup radishes (sliced thin) in a jar with carrots.
- Boil water. Add tablespoon sugar, 3 garlic cloves. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Add ½ C cider vinegar, pouring over veggies until covered, making sure 1 garlic clove makes it into each jar.
- Cover veggies and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Mer Soleil SILVER’s crisp, fresh flavors make it a favorite wine at our house, especially during these hot summer months. Our partnership with Caymus Vinyards has taught us a true appreciation for Monterey County grapes and this incredible unoaked chardonnay. Made in neutral vessels, this wine has a very distinct character; it is fresh, crisp and bright, just like the fish tostadas we made to pair it with.
This post was created in partnership with our friends at Mer Soleil. All opinions are our own.Print
12 oz fresh cod
6 6in corn tortillas
½ C Cotija cheese
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1 C radishes, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
½ C cider vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
3 garlic cloves
2 C water
½ C mayo
1 pinch crossed red pepper flakes
¼ C chili sauce
Prepare Pickled Vegetables at least 30 minutes or up to a day in advance:
- Peel and shred carrots and place in a heat resistant jar (one you can cover and refrigerate).
- Place onions in a jar as well as radishes
- Boil water. Add sugar, garlic. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Add vinegar and pour over veggies until covered, making sure 1 garlic clove makes it into each jar.
- Cover veggies and allow to refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- combine mayo, chili sauce and red pepper flakes
- allow to rest while preparing fish.
Make Fish Tostadas:
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Salt and pepper cod and place in skillet. Cook for 4 minutes. Flip fish and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to plate. Squeeze juice from 1 lime over fish.
- Heat tortillas over open flame on stove or on grill turning often so as not to burn. Heat for 30 seconds each.
- To assemble, spread the mayo mixture on the tortilla and add your choice of pickled veggies. Cut the fish into 6 equal portions and add then top with Cotija cheese and cilantro along with a lime wedge.
- Continue with remaining tortillas. Serve while warm.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: entrées
- Serving Size: 2 tostados
- Calories: 638
- Sugar: 22.3 g
- Sodium: 1909.3 mg
- Fat: 36.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.6 g
- Protein: 27.1 g
- Cholesterol: 74.2 mg
Keywords: fish, tacos, tostadas, cod, Vietnamese, Mer Soleil, chardonnay, Mexican, summer, light, healthy, pescatarian