Broiled Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Sprouts is the ultimate comfort food, as a holiday side or a meal in itself.
The cold weather has reached the northeast. We find ourselves looking forward to staying in and snuggling up on the couch with a warm blanket and good movie. These Broiled Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Sprouts recipe is the just the kind of food we want to eat now; it’s flavorful and comforting, and it feels like home.
Jackie loves movies more than anyone I know. She is always eager to go to the theater and see the latest film with “Oscar buzz”. These days, we can’t keep up with them all, so we cuddle up on the couch on and try to catch up on the films that we may have missed. This, in my opinion, creates an excellent opportunity prepare an indulgent “meal” the two of us can share.
These Broiled Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Sprouts are comfort food at its finest. It combines many of our very favorite things in one dish: mashed potatoes, truffle oil, and roasted Brussels sprouts. While I was at it, I crumbled some blue cheese on top to tie it all together. This is meant to be served as a side dish, and is ideal for holiday get togethers, but I won’t lie to you. Jackie and I have been known to make a vegetarian meal out of it, sharing a bowl on the couch with two forks.
The ultimate comfort food, as a beautiful side dish or a meal in itself
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 1 stick butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 C milk
- 1/4 C truffle oil
- 8 oz Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1/2 C crumbled blue cheese
- Cut potatoes into 2 in pieces and place in stock pot covered with cold water. Boil until potatoes are fork tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, julienne the brussel sprouts and place in sauté pan with olive oil. Cook over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes until browned. Remove from heat.
- When potatoes are cooked, drain and transfer to large mixing bowl. Add cream cheese, butter, garlic powder and truffle oil. Mix with hand mixer, adding milk a little at a time, until smooth and creamy.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer into an oven safe skillet (we used a cast iron skillet).
- Place potatoes under broiler until potatoes are browned. Remove from oven and top with Brussels sprouts and blue cheese and serve.