Triple Chocolate Banana Pancakes are an easy way to create smiles on a weekend morning.
Chocolate for breakfast is more an art form than a taboo, as far as I am concerned. It is especially enjoyable on a lazy Sunday morning, after a never-ending stressful week. I sensed that Jackie had experienced one of those weeks recently, which is why I got up early to experiment with some ideas for Chocolate Banana Pancakes. I wanted her to start her day with a smile. I made a few different varieties before I arrived at the right combination. I started with plain chocolate pancakes, and then chocolate pancakes with pecans… then I finally decided that chocolate and banana was the right mix. It would be sweet (but not too sweet) with a dark chocolate flavor that was not overpowering, still suitable for the first meal of the day.
I kept Jackie out of the kitchen, urging her to watch her favorite television program, CBS Sunday Morning, while I excitedly stirred up the right blend of ingredients for her special treat. When I walked out with a plate of these Triple Chocolate Banana Pancakes, her eyes opened wide, and she flashed me that smile that I love. One bite and she was in chocolate heaven, she said.
We both thoroughly enjoyed these pancakes, but as usual, I made more than we could eat. Jackie wanted to save the leftovers for the next morning. This sounded like a great idea. However, when there is a chocolate creation in the fridge (disguised as a breakfast item), it rarely makes it until morning in our house. These pancakes quickly became a mid-day snack, an after-dinner treat, and the perfect cure for a sudden sweet tooth. Whatever time of day you choose indulge, these Triple Chocolate Banana pancakes come together in minutes, and they are guaranteed to create smiles all around.
Check out some of our other weekend breakfast favorites: Pecan Waffles, Clementine Cinnamon Rolls, Pumpkin Spice Granola
This decadent pancake that has no need for maple syrup. The creaminess from the banana and the velvety chocolate syrup is a match made in heaven.
- 4 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 bananas
- 4 oz dark chocolate chunks
- 1 1/2 C Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 TBSP melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 C milk
- 1 egg
- For the topping:
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 5 oz chocolate chunks
- 1/3 C milk
- Mix all dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cocoa) in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, vanilla, egg and milk.
- Pour liquid into dry mixture and mix until all dry is wet. Do not over mix. It will be lumpy.
- Pour batter into skillet 1/4 C per pancake. Sprinkle with chocolate chunks and thin sliced bananas and allow to cook until edges pull up and bubbles form. Flip pancakes with spatula, and cook on other side (about 1 minute).
- Continue until all batter is gone.
- To make sauce: combine chocolate chunks and milk. Place in microwave dish and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove and stir in cocoa powder.
- Drizzle over pancakes and enjoy.