Easy Cinnamon French Toast is a breakfast favorite that's ready in just 15 minutes. Homemade Blood Orange Butter makes it even better.
Cinnamon French Toast makes an easy weekday breakfast or a decadent weekend brunch. I've perfected this recipe in restaurant kitchens, but it works just as well at home for a table of 2 or a large group.
We took this recipe to the next level by topping it with Blood Orange Butter, made with Italian Blood Orange Juice. It is so darn good, you're going to want to slather it on everything: pancakes, muffins, and even grilled shrimp!
Use day old bread to make French Toast. Fresh bread is too soft, and it will soak up the egg mixture and be soggy after cooking.
- BREAD: we like brioche bread, challah bread, or country white bread
- EGGS: large or extra large eggs
- MILK: whole milk, 2% milk, skim milk, or any nut milk works
- CINNAMON: ground cinnamon
- NUTMEG: ground nutmeg
- SUGAR: granulated sugar
- ALMOND EXTRACT: pure almond extract
- OLIVE OIL: use good quality extra virgin olive oil
- PISTACHIOS: fresh pistachios, shelled
For the Blood Orange Butter:
- BUTTER: unsalted butter, softened
- BLOOD ORANGE JUICE: blood orange juice can be found at specialty stores and markets
- PISTACHIOS: fresh pistachios, shelled and finely chopped
- POWDERED SUGAR: (confectioners' sugar)
*see recipe card for quantities.
- Make the Blood Orange Butter: Prepare the butter by adding butter, blood orange juice, pistachios, and powdered sugar to a medium bowl. Mix until well combined using a hand mixer (about 5 minutes).
- Refrigerate the Butter: Transfer to a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a log about 2 inches in diameter and wrap. Place in refrigerator until needed.
- Make Egg Mixture: In a shallow baking dish, whisk together eggs. Then add milk, spices and almond extract and combine.
- Cook the French Toast: Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Dip each slice of bread into egg mixture and transfer to skillet. Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Continue until all slices are done.
- Serve: Serve Cinnamon French Toast warm with the orange butter and maple syrup. Garnish with crumbled pistachios.
- CLASSIC CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST: Omit the pistachios. Substitute pure vanilla extract for almond extract. Top with unflavored butter and maple syrup.
- SUGAR FREE: use agave nectar or honey as sweetener. Top with sugar free maple syrup.
- Freeze room temperature, cooked French Toast on a sheet pan lined with wax paper. Wrap securely with plastic wrap.
- Reheat in a sauté pan with a little butter or cooking spray.
- Make Ahead: cook French Toast following recipe instructions. Place all slices on a baking sheet and store in a warmer or 200° F oven until you are ready to serve.
Brioche, Challah, French, or Italian bread is our favorite bread to use.
The most common cause for soggy French Toast is the bread. Be sure to use a thick cut dense bread (like Brioche), and make sure it is a day old or more.
Yes! Regular orange juice works fine for this recipe. Just remember that most store-bought orange juice is sweetened, so test it as you add it to the butter. You may not need to add the sugar.
🍅 Making this recipe?
- Please feel free to reach out with questions. We're happy to help.
- If you enjoyed it, please leave us a comment with ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 8 slices of your favorite bread
- 3 eggs
- ¼ C milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ C pistachios, shelled
For the Butter:
- 1 stick butter (softened)
- 3 tbsp blood orange juice
- ¼ C pistachios, chopped finely
- ½ C powdered sugar
- Prepare the butter by adding all ingredients to a medium bowl. Mix until well combined using a hand mixer, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a log about 2 inches in diameter and wrap.
- Refrigerate until needed.
To make French Toast:
- In a shallow baking dish, combine eggs. Whisk and then add milk, spices and extract and combine.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Dip each slice into egg mixture and transfer to skillet and cook on each side for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Continue until all slices are done.
- Serve warm with the orange butter and maple syrup, and garnish with pistachios.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: Breakfast
- Serving Size: 2 slices
- Calories: 423
- Sugar: 23.4 g
- Sodium: 367.3 mg
- Fat: 19.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.8 g
- Protein: 12.1 g
- Cholesterol: 147.4 mg
Keywords: French Toast, breakfast, brunch, pistachio, brioche, toast, butter, blood orange, orange juice