Up your weekend brunch game with this French Toast With Blood Orange Butter.
We grew up hearing breakfast was the most important meal of the day. For most of my life I passed on breakfast. Was it because I was too busy? Maybe, but honestly, I believe it was because most days I was just too lazy to make something for myself. By mid-morning, I would always regret that decision. Jackie, on the other hand, is very routine oriented and never skips breakfast. She can’t start the day without coffee, and she supplements it with a smoothie, a yogurt parfait, or something as simple as a banana or an English muffin. On the weekends, we always make a point to share a big breakfast or brunch; I have come to delight in this habit.
We created this French Toast with Blood Orange Butter for our friends at Fresh Up Your Life, and it has quickly become a favorite for weekend brunch at our house. The secret is the Blood Orange Butter, made with Italian blood orange juice. Now this was not a meal we would make every day, but having the butter on hand was such a treat that we found ourselves using it on all sorts of things like muffins, pancakes and even fish.
If you are planning a holiday get together anytime soon keep this recipe in mind. The crunchy pistachios add just the right texture to this sweet indulgence. It’s an ideal lazy kind of weekend meal that everyone loves. Do you have other ideas for Blood Orange Butter? Take a minute to share your ideas of how you would use this sweet delight. We would love to hear from you.
Up your weekend brunch game with French Toast with Blood Orange Butter! Made with Italian blood orange juice, this big breakfast is ideal for lazy mornings.
8 slices of your favorite bread
¼ C milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp almond extract
2 tbsp olive oil
¼ C pistachios, shelled
For the Butter:
1 stick butter (softened)
3 tbsp blood orange juice
¼ C pistachios, chopped finely
½ C powdered sugar
- Prepare the butter by adding all ingredients to a medium bowl. Mix until well combined using a hand mixer, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a log about 2 inches in diameter and wrap.
- Refrigerate until needed.
To make French Toast.
- In a shallow baking dish, combine eggs. Whisk and then add milk, spices and extract and combine.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Dip each slice into egg mixture and transfer to skillet and cook on each side for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Continue until all slices are done.
- Serve warm with the orange butter and maple syrup, and garnish with pistachios.
Keywords: French toast, breakfast, brunch, pistachio, brioche, toast, sugar, vanilla, butter, blood orange