Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are a protein-packed, high energy snack without the guilt.We all know people who react adversely to the mere mention of the word "vegan". In my case, some of those people live in my house. Without naming names, let's just say that our goal with this recipe was to create a great tasting muffin that would pass the scrupulous inspection of each and every family member, vegetarian and carnivorous alike. These Vegan (shhh!) Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins passed the test with flying colors.I am a huge fan of almond milk. I use it in smoothies, on granola, and in baking (when I can get away with it). So when our friends at Dream sent us some of their newest Dream Ultimate Almond, I was over the moon. It has four times more almonds than regular almond beverage: that's 5 grams of plant-based protein in every serving. I had a hunch that it would be the perfect ingredient to bake with, and I was right.
We chose to use a combination of white flour, wheat flour and wheat germ, which created a hearty, dense muffin with a natural sweetness that pleased even our pickiest critics. The addition of vegan chocolate chips appealed to the our sweet tooth. I like the idea of making mini muffins for this recipe, because each little muffin serves as the perfect high-energy breakfast on the go, or an easy after school snack. We just neglected to mention the "V word" and these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins were gone in minutes. What you don't know won't hurt you.
This post is sponsored by our friends at Dream. All opinions are our own.
You can find Dream Ultimate Almond at Whole Foods and Sprouts.
Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
A protein-packed, vegan muffin that makes for a delicious high-energy snack
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 24 mini muffins 1x
- 1 cup vanilla flavor Dream Ultimate Almond Beverage
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 9 oz. package vegan chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup white flour
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup wheat germ
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 24-cup mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour almond beverage into a small bowl and add the vinegar to it. Set aside to curdle.
- Mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl.
- Add almond beverage mixture to the bananas, then add canola oil, sugar, and vanilla and combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine white flour wheat flour, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Fold banana/ almond milk mixture into dry ingredients and combine.
- Add the chocolate chips and gently stir together. Batter should be chunky,
- Fill the muffin cups all the way to the top of each cup (or even past the top for a high-rising muffin).
- Bake muffins for 25 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: baked goods
Bethany @ athletic avocado says
These muffins are sooo cute! You can never go wrong with a banana chocolate chip muffin, so delish! I love that these are vegan:)
thanks a million Bethany!! Yes, we didn't know that vegan could taste so good. We are anxious to try more new vegan options....