This recipe looks delicious, at least it does to us. I want to say it was all my idea, but I feel like I have to give my daughter a little credit. As a college student, she is all about ordering things online, and food is no exception. One weekend day, Jackie and I came home and were hit with an intoxicating, yet familiar smell of sautéed Brussels sprouts. We wanted to think that lunch was ready and on the table for us as we returned.
We were soon disappointed to find out that lunch wasn’t specifically for us, but rather a meal she was experimenting with for herself from a meal prep online site. She was kind enough to let us sample the vegetarian flatbread she prepared, and as we were eating it my mind started racing, coming up with ways to make this recipe even better. The end result is this Lemony Brussels Sprouts Flatbread.
Superman Cooks tip: use a store bought flatbread crust & bake it on the oven rack for a deliciously crispy crust
I love this meal because it is so simple, but so full of flavor. We used a store bought crust, layering it with ricotta cheese, sautéed Brussels sprouts, lemon zest, and a nice long drizzle of honey. It's a meal in itself, or a satisfying appetizer. We just can't get enough.Print
This delicious & satisfying vegetarian flatbread, made with sautéed Brussels sprouts, ricotta, & honey will have you coming back for more!
- 1 flatbread of your choice (we used one 8"x 12" in size)
- 14 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 C Brussels sprouts, shaved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon
- ¼ C honey
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- chili oil (optional) to taste*
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add ricotta cheese, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, salt and juice from ½ of the lemon.
- Set aside. Heat olive oil in medium sauté pan. Add sprouts and cook over high for 3-4 minutes.
- Spread ricotta mixture over flatbread, spreading to the edges.
- Top with Brussels sprouts to cover cheese.
Place flatbread directly on oven rack and cook for 6-7 minutes (or until flatbread is crispy).
Carefully remove from oven and place on a serving platter.
Drizzle honey over top, cut and serve.
*(For an added kick, drizzle some chili oil over as well).
- This recipe can be altered based on the size of the flatbread you use.
- For a perfectly crisp crust, bake directly on the oven rack.
Keywords: flatbread, Brussels sprouts, ricotta, honey, vegetable, vegetarian