Sweet & Sassy Bee Sting Pizza is a homemade pie with unforgettable flavor, inspired by one of our favorite pizzerias.Pizza is a favorite in our house, and there are many days that we become adventurous and make our own. Normally, I make a traditional pizza with “normal” toppings: pepperoni, sausage, peppers, and cheese. The pizza choices in New York are varied and plentiful; each pizza is unique in its own way. Our “go to” delivery pizza is from Two Boots. It is made with a thin, crisp cornmeal crust and has that perfect crunch. We also enjoy the “corner pie” on the go, which offers 2 slices and a can of soda. It is the quintessential New York City pizza and totally delicious.The inspiration for this spicy yet sweet pizza comes from a Brooklyn favorite, Roberta’s, who often has a pop-up venue just down the street.It was wood-fired with a spicy soppressata and a sweet finish. It is famously known as the Bee Sting Pizza. We felt that this pie had to be made with fresh ingredients, starting with the sauce. My signature sauce is made with only four ingredients, and I believe it is the perfect base for any homemade pizza. The secret to making homemade pizza taste as good as the pizzeria type is to have a very hot oven. We fire ours up to 500°, and we use a baking stone. Homemade pizza can be just as great without the stone, just remember to keep the oven door closed so that the oven maintains its high temperature.When this Bee Sting Pizza comes out of the oven, the key ingredients that make it oh-so-special are a drizzle of fresh clover honey and chili-infused oil. The oil gives the lips a little sting and the honey brings them back to reality. Don’t be afraid to drizzle heavy as this pizza will be gone before you have any time to let the burn set in.
Make this delicious pizza at home and find out why it’s a New York favorite!
- 1 16″ pizza crust (we have a recipe in another post, however a store bought dough is fine).
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 26 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 6–8 basil leaves
- FOR THE PIZZA:
- 4 oz soppressata, sliced
- 4 oz chopped and cooked sausage
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp chil- infused oil
- To make the sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, add 1/4 C olive oil, crushed garlic, and tomatoes. Cover with a lid and heat over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and remove lid.
- Preheat oven to 500°. Roll out the dough on a floured surface and place on a pizza pan or baking sheet.
- Top with a cup or so of sauce and cover pizza with sausage, soppressata and cheese and place in oven for 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with honey, chili oil and torn basil leaves.
- This sauce will be enough for 2-3 pizzas. Refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Keywords: pizza, bee sting, honey, soppressata, brooklyn, Roberta's, homemade, crust, New York, pie, stone, recipe