Cedar Plank Salmon is covered in a sweet and smoky spice rub and grilled to perfection. Get bold flavor in just 40 minutes with no mess!
This easy grilled salmon recipe is an elegant looking meal without that will please many a dinner guest. But Grilled Cedar Planked Salmon doesn't just look good. The cedar planks add a natural smoky flavor to the fish, and they make clean up a snap!
We created a signature sweet & smoky spice rub to add robust flavor, and topped it with a fresh corn and pepper mixture. Like our Blackened Salmon recipe and Grilled Flat Iron Steak, it's perfect for date night or a simple weeknight dinner. Pair it with a bottle of Cakebread Cellars Sauvignon Blanc.
Hint: make extra and use the leftovers to make Salmon Caesar Salad!
- SALMON FILETS: we prefer wild salmon fillets like King (Chinook) Salmon or Sockeye (Red) Salmon
- CEDAR PLANKS: cedar planks for grilling
- RED PEPPER: diced red pepper
- YELLOW PEPPER: diced yellow pepper
- RED ONION: diced red onion
- CORN: fresh corn, cut from the cob (can substitute frozen corn)
- LIME: fresh squeezed lime juice
- PAPRIKA: ground smoked paprika
- ONION POWDER: for seasoning spice rub
- GARLIC POWDER: for seasoning spice rub
- BROWN SUGAR: for seasoning spice rub
- CUMIN: for seasoning spice rub
- SMOKED SALT: smoked salt add depth of flavor. You can also use sea salt or kosher salt
- BLACK PEPPER: freshly ground black pepper
*see recipe card for quantities.
- Make Spice Rub: Prepare seasoning rub by combining the smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, cumin, smoked salt and black pepper.
- Make Corn/Vegetable Topping: Prepare topping by combining peppers, onion, corn and juice of lime. Add 2 teaspoon of spice mixture and mix to combine.
- Soak Cedar Planks: Soak Cedar planks in water for 15 minutes to avoid burning on the grill.
- Coat the Salmon with Spice Rub: Place salmon filets on cedar planks and cover generously with all of the spice rub.
- Grill Salmon: Place cedar plank salmon on grill and cook for 10-12 minutes until done or internal temperature of 125°F
- Plate and Serve: Remove salmon from grill and divide veggie mix over each filet and serve.
- OVEN BAKED: bake cedar plank Salmon in the oven at 350° F on a baking sheet (to catch juices) for 12-15 minutes.
- NO FRESH CORN? Use unsweetened canned corn or frozen corn.
- SPICE IT UP: add crushed red pepper flakes or chili oil to the spice mixture.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days maximum.
Reheat in microwave or 350° F oven for 5 minutes.
Cakebread Cellars Sauvignon Blanc is a light-bodied, elegantly balanced wine with citrus and melon flavors. These flavors perfectly balance the simple bold flavors of our Grilled Salmon recipe.
Farm Raised Salmon vs. Wild-Caught Salmon
- We like to use WILD-CAUGHT SALMON for this recipe if we can. We prefer this variety because it is usually lower in fat and calories, but sometimes it is hard to find (especially during the winter months).
- FARM RAISED SALMON works fine for this recipe. We just make sure to check to make sure it has a nice color and texture.
- Buy food grade cedar planks at a kitchen supply store. Do not buy them at the hardware store as they may be treated with chemicals.
- Soak cedar planks in water for 15 minutes (up to 2 hours) before grilling so they don't catch fire on the grill.
This post is sponsored by our friends at Cakebread Cellars. All opinions are our own.
We like wild caught salmon because it is usually lower in fat and calories. Sometimes it is hard to find, so farm raised salmon works. Just make sure to check that it has a nice color and texture.
Soak cedar planks for at least 15 minutes before grilling (up to 2 hours) to avoid burning on the grill.
Yes you can reuse cedar planks. Just wash them in soapy water and allow them to dry completely before storing them.
🍅 Making this recipe?
- Please feel free to reach out with questions. We're happy to help.
- If you enjoyed it, please leave us a comment with ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 2 oz salmon filets
- 2 cedar planks
- ¼ C diced red pepper
- ¼ C diced yellow pepper
- ¼ C red onion
- ½ C corn cut from the cob
- ½ lime
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Prepare seasoning rub by combining the smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, cumin, smoked salt and black pepper.
- Prepare topping, by combining peppers, onion and corn and juice of lime and add 2 teaspoon of spice mixture and mix to combine.
- Soak Cedar planks in water for 15 minutes to avoid them burning on the grill.
- Place salmon on cedar planks and cover generously with all of of the spice rub (patting it in with your hands).
- Place salmon on grill and cook for 10-12 minutes until done or internal temperature of 125° F.
- Remove from grill and divide veggie mix over each filet and serve.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: grilling
Keywords: salmon, cedar plank, grilled, grilling, seafood, salmon filets, rub, spice rub