Grilled Salmon with Caribbean Mango Glaze combines fresh flavors with tropical flare.
These days I find myself dreaming of sitting at a roadside café in a little beach town somewhere in the Caribbean. These daydreams were the inspiration for this Grilled Salmon recipe. We had a taste of warm weather here in the Northeast: an unusually warm 74° day in the middle of February. I wasted no time. I fired up the grill and we sat on the patio, pretending that spring had already arrived.
For this Caribbean-Inspired Grilled Salmon, I started with a jasmine rice, infused with a chicken base and beautiful golden turmeric. I then created an Asian-flavored glaze that we marinated the salmon in. We then thickened up the glaze and basted the fish with it. Neither Jackie nor I are huge fans of salmon. It is low on both of our lists as a seafood option. But because of it’s health benefits, I am determined to make it a staple in our household. I am very proud to say that this recipe is helping both of us turn the corner.
I am honestly surprised at how much my tastes have changed. It could be because this dish just looks tasty, sitting on a colorful table garnished with sweet mango and fresh herbs. The Asian flavors complement the flaky fish without being overly sweet. It could also be the company. Sharing a meal with Jackie makes everything taste better. To be able to enjoy good food with the ones you love is something to be thankful for. Whatever the reason, I am proud to have created a dish that has converted us to fans of this most popular fish.
- 2-8 oz salmon loins
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- ¼ C brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tbsp finely-chopped fresh jalapeño
- ¼ C chopped green onion
- ¼ C chopped fresh cilantro
- FOR THE RICE:
- 1 C dry Jasmine rice
- 1 tsp Tumeric
- 1 tsp Chicken base
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ C fresh diced mango
- ¼ C diced red pepper
- Prepare marinade for fish by combining garlic, fish sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, jalapeño, green onion and cilantro together.
- Place fish in a ziplock bag and add marinade. Allow to sit for 30 minutes in refrigerator.
- TO PREPARE RICE:
- Combine 1 C rice, 2 C water with tumeric and chicken base and cook according to package directions. When done mix in fresh mango and diced red pepper.
- Remove fish from marinade and pour marinade in small saucepan. Cook over low heat until thickened, about 15 minutes. Set aside until serving.
- Place fish on grill and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and serve over rice. Spoon glaze over fish.