Asian BBQ Chicken Skewers are a summer favorite, slathered in layers of flavor.
Summer is quickly getting away from us, so we are grilling out as much as possible lately. I really like to cook outside, especially when the weather is as warm as it has been this past month. We also hate to heat up the apartment any more than necessary. All of these factors contributed to the creation of these Asian BBQ Chicken Skewers.
Traditional barbecue is somewhat of a staple at our house. The entire family love most all of it: basic ribs, brisket, chicken breasts… you name it. I prefer chicken thighs (over breasts) on the grill because they are a moister and more tender cut of meat, and they definitely hold flavor better. This is important for this recipe, because you want to enjoy as much of that Korean flavored glaze as possible in each bite. I like to think that I have taught Jackie a thing or two about cooking, especially when it comes to barbecue. She always preferred chicken breasts, until I began serving her juicy thighs, slathered in my various concoctions. We made this meal authentically Asian by serving it with fried rice and pickled veggies (carrots and green onions). The cool, crisp flavors are a perfect balance to the spicy chicken. This meal is light enough for those hot summer days, yet flavorful enough to have you coming back for more. I recommend doubling the recipe, as these skewers make great leftovers. Wanna take it to the next level? Serve this recipe with some of our favorite summer sides: Pickled Veggie Potato Salad, Crunchy Asian Salad
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ C rice vinegar
- ¼ C Gojuchang sauce
- ¼ C lite soy sauce
- ¼ C chopped cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dried ginger
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp coriander
- Cut each chicken thigh into thirds and place them onto skewers.
- Heat grill and cook chicken for 3 minutes on each side over high heat.
- While chicken is cooking, combine all remaining ingredients except for sesame seeds and whisk to combine.
- Once chicken has cooked on both sides, brush sauce evenly on chicken and grill another 3 minutes on each side while lowering grill to medium high heat or until done.
- Place on serving plate and garnish with sesame seeds.