Pickled Veggie Potato Salad is a summer classic with a sweet & sour bite!
We here at superman cooks are not ones to discriminate when it comes to potato salad. Most people (like me) have a familial relationship with the classic American variety: made creamy and satisfying with mayo. This is potato salad that I have known and loved ever since I can remember. It reminds me of summer barbecues, baseball games, and running through the sprinkler with my neighborhood pals.
Only as an adult did I discover that there is a world of potato salad that I was never exposed to as a kid in Ohio. I was shocked to discover that traditional German potato salad is made with vinegar, not mayo, but I have come to love it just the same. Enter Keith. My potato loving man, it turns out, actually prefers the vinegar variety, because that is what his grandmother used to make for him. This Pickled Veggie Potato Salad is a one of his recent creations that takes the vinegar variety to the next level. Keith, inspired by all of the incredible vegetables at our farmer’s market, has been on a pickling frenzy. He has pickled every veggie in sight, and we love to add them to everything: sandwiches, tacos, salads… It was just a natural instinct for him to add some local pickled veggies to his favorite potato salad. The result was an even more flavorful, sweet and sour kind of bite to this classic summer side. It’s amazing how one simple ingredient can change the flavor profile of a dish. He loves it and so do I, just as much as the classic mayo version. We have no shortage of potato salad ideas! Check out some of our favorites: Purple Potato Salad with Truffle Zest, Dad’s Hillbilly Potato Salad, Rustic Tri-Colored Potato Salad
- 3 lbs red potatoes
- 1 C shredded carrots
- 5 asparagus spears
- 1 watermelon radish, sliced thin
- ½ C cornichons (or sweet pickles) chopped
- 1 C white vinegar
- ½ C cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp black pepper corns
- 1 tsp crushed red peppers
- ½ C olive oil
- ½ C Cilantro
- Place potatoes in a large stock pot and cover with water. Boil for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, boil 1 C water and add sugar, garlic cloves, peppercorns, red pepper flakes and white vinegar.
- Add shredded carrots, asparagus,and radishes to vinegar and water mixture and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- When potatoes are done cooking, drain and carefully cut into small pieces and place in a large bowl. Add cider vinegar.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour veggies into a strainer and add to potatoes, along with olive oil and chopped pickles.
- Salt and pepper to taste and toss in cilantro.