Shrimp on the barbie is one of my all-time favorite summer meals. It is light, flavorful, and always satisfying. These shrimp skewers, paired with our signature Grilled Corn, you just can't beat this kind of summer feast. Keith has mastered the art of grilling shrimp, smothering it in his signature summer herb glaze (a closely kept secret recipe until now)....
Mer Soleil SILVER is our wine of choice to pair with these Shrimp Skewers. The distinctly crisp, citrus flavors of Mer Soleil SILVER come from grapes grown in Monterey County, California. SILVER unoaked chardonnay is fermented and aged in a combination of stainless steel and small concrete tanks imported from France. It pairs well with so many of our favorite summer dishes, like this one or our Jerk Turkey Burgers, or Vietnamese Style Fish Tostadas.
How to make a simple herb glaze:
- In a small sauce pan, melt the 1 stick salted butter and combine the 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon white pepper, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon brown sugar as well as the juice from 1 lime.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the skewers with the mixture.
- Refrigerate for 5 minutes before grilling.
A light meal like this, shared on our back deck is what summer is all about. Sides of grilled local sweet corn and saffron rice rounded out the menu. This is the kind of meal that easily lingers into evening: chatting, sipping, and enjoying the summer sunset.
This post was created in partnership with our friends at Mer Soleil. All opinions are our own.Print
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails on
- 1 stick salted butter
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ¼ C chopped cilantro
- *If using wooden skewers, soak in them in warm water for at least 15 minutes to prevent them from burning on the grill.
- Towel dry the shrimp. Then skewer the shrimp by skewering them in 2 places as this helps keep the shrimp in place while grilling.
- Lay the skewers on a sheet pan that has sides, in a single layer.
- Zest the lime and set aside with the cilantro
- In a small sauce pan, melt the butter and combine the salt, pepper, cumin, red pepper and brown sugar as well as the juice from the lime.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the skewers with the mixture and refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- Heat grill to 350°.
- Now add the lime zest and cilantro to the butter mixture.
- Place shrimp on grill and brush with more butter and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, brushing with butter often.
- Remove from grill and brush remaining butter until gone.
- If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak in them in warm water for at least 15 minutes to prevent them from burning on the grill.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: entrée
- Method: grilling
- Serving Size: 1 skewer
- Calories: 325
- Sugar: 0.8 g
- Sodium: 827.8 mg
- Fat: 19.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.1 g
- Protein: 36.9 g
- Cholesterol: 340.5 mg
Keywords: shrimp, grill, grilled, marinade, marinate, barbie, herb, glaze, kabob, butter