I normally think of roasted carrots as a winter indulgence. Their sweet and savory taste reminds me of nourishing Sunday dinner on a cold day. So you can imagine my surprise as I was drawn to the beautiful tri-colored carrots at the farmer’s market in the middle of summer. It was Fourth of July weekend. Jackie and I woke up very early and were down at the Union Square Green Market before all the booths were even set up. We walked by this stand that had a fresh array of green leafy vegetables, and staring us right in the face were these beautiful carrots. We had to have them.
We quickly swiped up the carrots and placed them in our shopping bag before we knew what to do with them. In keeping with our Superman Cooks philosophy of sharing great tasting recipes that are easy to make (but look like a million bucks), I decided to roast the colorful carrots to bring out the natural sweetness in them. I added a simple balsamic glaze made with rosemary and brown sugar. The result was savory, sweet and delicious.
I am now officially a convert to tender roasted carrots in the summertime. There is no need to peel them, as the outside is already soft, and when these babies are roasted they melt in your mouth like candy. We were even surprised to discover that they taste great cold. I recommend using the tops of the carrots as a bed to plate the sweet vegetable; the dish becomes an easy centerpiece that makes the table scream gourmet. Cheers to summer carrots!
A healthy, splendidly sweet side dish that is perfect for a summer meal.
- 1 lb baby carrots (any carrots work, but we recommend market fresh)
- 1 TBSP of Rosemary (dried)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Clean carrots and lay in single layer on shallow baking sheet.
- Mix remaining ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
- Pour mixture over carrots and place in 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Remove from oven and serve.
- We placed ours on a bed of carrot tops and garnished with chopped chives,