Lemony Garlic Roasted Chicken with Autumn Vegetables is a simple, delicious and comforting meal, best accompanied by a glass of Mer Soleil Reserve Chardonnay.
I have been a “city girl” for the better part of my life. I have eaten in fine restaurants, traveled the world, and sampled some exquisite food. Yet nothing compares to a simple roasted meal in the comfort of my own home. This meal I describe is something along the lines of this Lemony Garlic Roasted Chicken with Autumn Vegetables: prepared by Keith, served with love, and shared with my family. We talk about “peasant meals” a lot at superman cooks, probably because it is the foundation for our menu planning during the week. The idea of not letting things go to waste, of making good use of what you have is an old concept that is very relevant today. Most importantly, however, is that these kinds of meals just taste good. In our minds, a simple roasted dish made with local, fresh ingredients is the best kind of meal you can make for your family.
So when our friends at Mer Soleil sent us some of their new vintage of Reserve Chardonnay Santa Lucia Highlands and asked us to create a fall pairing, we decided to go back to our roots and create a simple roasted chicken dish that would complement the rich and buttery flavors of this exquisite chardonnay. What I like about this wine is that it is full-bodied (but not too heavy), which makes it ideal to pairing with a fall meal like this one.
This Lemony Garlic Roasted Chicken with Autumn Vegetables may seem simple, but the flavors are rich and complex. The chicken and vegetables take on the flavors of the lemon, garlic, and herbs while roasting, and the finished dish is tender, moist and completely satisfying. This is one comforting meal that feels like home, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
This post is sponsored by our friends at Mer Soleil. All opinions are our own.
You can purchase Mer Soleil Chardonnay Reserve SLH here.
A hearty meal perfect for fall, as it incorporates the flavors of the fall harvest vegetables.
- 1 whole chicken (cut into pieces)
- 12 oz Brussels sprouts
- 2 large carrots
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 bulb garlic
- 2 lemons
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1/2 C olive oil
- fresh parsley
- Dry skin of chicken using a paper towel and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Drizzle part of the olive oil over the chicken pieces and reserve the rest.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, cut all vegetables into 1″ pieces and place in large bowl.
- Drizzle remaining olive oil over vegetables along with juice of one lemon and toss.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from oven and add vegetables to baking sheet in a single layer.
- Slice remaining lemon in half and place cut side up on baking sheet along with one whole bulb or garlic (cut in half).
- Lay sprigs of rosemary on chicken and return to oven. When you return to oven, reduce heat to 375° and allow to bake for an additional 30-40 minutes (or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F.)
- Remove from oven and place chicken on serving platter. Using a fork, remove some of the garlic from the bulb and rub over skin of chicken.
- Place vegetables in mixing bowl and using tongs squeeze juice from roasted lemon over them and then toss with some fresh parsley.
- Allow chicken 5-10 to rest before serving.