Pasta Carbonara is one of my favorite pasta dishes, and I make this one very regularly. It is a classic Italian standard. I love the combination of egg, salty bacon, sweet peas, and fresh parmesan. Its rich, unmistakable flavor is a favorite at our house. When you order it in a restaurant, it can be served in many ways. I prefer it made the “Superman Cooks” way: a lighter version without the heavy cream, yet not short on all the traditional Carbonara flavor. I also like to use orecchiette pasta because it holds all the goodness in every little “ear”.
When I told Jackie I wanted to share this recipe, I am not sure she had a good understanding of what the “less creamy version” of Carbonara would be like. So you can imagine my relief as I watched her take her first bite. She smiled in true “Jackie fashion”, and complimented me on my creation.
Jackie has a way of boosting my ego. She not only raved about my pasta, but she devoured the entire serving and even asked for more. This made me believe that this recipe was meant to be shared. It is a great dish that can be made in a pinch and is sure to please the entire family.
A pasta carbonara made in a non-traditional way: tasty yet without the heavy cream
- 1 lb dry pasta (we used orecchiette)
- 1 C frozen green peas
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 C milk
- 2 TBSP butter
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 TBSP flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 C freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil pasta according to directions on box
- While pasta is cooking, dice bacon up into 1/4″ inch pieces and sauté in large skillet along with the garlic.
- Sauté until bacon is crisp.
- Add flour. Stir and cook for 1 minute over medium heat
- Add milk and peas (while frozen) and cook until milk thickens (about 4 minutes).
- When pasta has finished cooking, drain well and add to skillet with bacon mixture. Mix well over low heat.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs until scrambled.
- Pour eggs over pasta and mix and stir regularly until eggs have cooked. You will see pieces of scrambled eggs. That is what you want.
- Turn heat off and mix in parmesan cheese, butter, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with your favorite white wine.