Roasted Sweet Corn & Apple Bisque is a light and satisfying soup that says "hello fall".That unfamiliar chill in the air can only mean one thing: soup’s on! Soups are undoubtedly one of Keith’s specialties, and the idea for this Roasted Sweet Corn & Apple Bisque has been germinating all summer long. Keith waited patiently for the weather to turn so that he could get into the kitchen, make like a mad scientist, and begin concocting this year’s batch of comforting soups.Luckily, our local market is still stocking summer’s harvest of sweet corn. And not too far away sat crates of local, fresh-picked apples begging for our attention. It was the perfect time for Keith to work on this idea that he has talked about for so long. Happy to be the guinea pig, I watched, sampled, and indulged as Keith experimented with the right balance of ingredients to make this sweet corn & apple bisque. He arrived at a recipe that is satisfying and delicious, with just a hint of natural sweetness.I love soups made with sweet corn in general, but I think this one is really special. The combination of sweet corn, potatoes, and apples gives this a hearty, satisfying flavor that is not too heavy. I have been enjoying it for lunch on its own, but it is also an excellent appetizer or accompaniment to a salad or main course. If this is setting the tone for soup season, we are all in for a real treat.
Check out some of our other favorite comforting soup recipes: Southwestern Turkey Chili, Broccoli Cheddar Mashed Potato Soup, Italian Wedding Soup
Roasted Sweet Corn & Apple Bisque
A light yet satisfying corn bisque with just the right amount of natural sweetness
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: ½ Gallon 1x
- 3 ears sweet corn
- 2 russet potatoes
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 apple
- 1 medium onion
- 3 green onions
- 1 carrot
- 2 tbsp chicken base
- 1 cup 2% Milk
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Husk corn and place directly on grill to roast, turning kernels brown. You can use a gas stove as well, laying corn directly on grate above flame.
- Once corn is brown, remove and allow to cool enough to be able to cut from the cob.
- Cut corn from cob. Remove 1 C corn and place remaining corn in stock pot over medium heat with 3 tablespoon butter.
- While corn is cooking (it will release sweet starch), peel and dice potatoes and carrot into ¼ inch pieces and add to corn.
- Dice onion and add to pot as well.
- Drop thyme into pot and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add chicken base and 1 quart water.
- Peel and dice apple and add to pot. Continue to cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove thyme sprig and discard.
- Using emulsion (stick) blender, blend mixture until thick and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add milk and remaining corn.
- Dice green onion and add to soup. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste and add remaining 3 tablespoon butter.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 6 oz
- Calories: 271
- Sugar: 15.2 g
- Sodium: 51.5 mg
- Fat: 13.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.3 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
- Cholesterol: 33.8 mg
Keywords: soup, corn bisque, sweet, apple, summer