Rich & Velvety Cream of Mushroom Soup is a comforting bowl of hearty flavors.
There is nothing better than a piping hot bowl of homemade soup; it warms the body as well as the soul. Jackie and I love soup, so much so that I could probably come up with a new soup recipe every week. I never tire of creating new versions of these one pot meals. In our family, everyone loves a simple meal consisting of a bowl of homemade soup and a nice salad; it makes a perfect quick dinner or a weekend lunch. My palate is drawn to the creamy variety, where Jackie prefers a lighter broth soup. This Rich and Velvety Cream of Mushroom Soup is one that I am quite fond of. It plays to my palate and is comforting on a cold winter day.
Despite the cold weather, one can still find a beautiful bounty of mushroom varieties at most markets this time of year. For this recipe, I chose four: shiitake, crimini, oyster and white. The process of roasting the mushrooms first is key to developing the rich, complex flavor of this simple recipe (it also gives it the deep golden hue). This Cream of Mushroom Soup is simply refined, with only a few ingredients, but it tastes like it is filled with a cornucopia of flavor. I also think the different mushrooms add an unexpected shift in texture from one bite to the next.Unfortunately, we have several more weeks of cold weather to look forward to here in the Northeast, which means I am bound to have more soup recipes brewing in my mind (and simmering on our stove). My mind is fixed on one that will fall more into Jackie’s wheelhouse: a brothy soup filled with dynamic flavors inspired by her recent trip to Hong Kong (I am sure this will be news to her as well when she reads this post). While she was away, I was busy working on a recipe that I am sure she will fall in love with. Stay tuned…
Four kinds of mushrooms, roasted to perfection, create the complex flavor of Rich & Velvety Cream of Mushroom Soup. It's a comforting meal on a cold day.
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms (we used a blend of shiitake, oyster, crimini and white mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 C chopped chives
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 C heavy cream
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons truffle oil
- Preheat Oven to 400°.
- Roughly chop mushrooms and place in oven-safe container. Add olive oil and 1/4 C chopped chives.
- Place mixture in oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, melt the butter, add the flour and mix together. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add cracked pepper, salt, and mushroom mixture from the oven.
- Mix together, slowly adding beef stock and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat until thickened.
- Add heavy cream and stir until combined. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve in bowl with garnish of chopped chives and a drizzle of truffle oil.
Keywords: soup, stew, mushroom, cream, cremini, oyster, easy, shiitake, truffle, bisque