Sparkling Wine-Soaked Strawberry Shortcake is a light and sophisticated dessert ideal for summer gatherings.I come from a long line of strong, kind and nurturing women. My mother is one of four sisters, all of whom are dear to me in ways I can't begin to describe. Together, they taught me how to navigate the world as a female: with confidence, empathy, humility and faith. They also taught me how to entertain. The parties and showers thrown by my aunties are legendary; the food goes on for miles and the decor is nothing short of a Hollywood film set. It was this standard I had in mind when Keith and I set out to create this Sparkling Wine-Soaked Strawberry Shortcake.When our friends at Casal Garcia sent us some of their incredible Sparkling Rosé, we knew we had to create something special. I instantly thought of the many bridal showers my aunties have hosted over the years, asking Keith to help create a dessert worthy of being served at our next family gathering. There is just something so feminine about this sparkling wine, with its beautiful pink hue and its delicately sweet flavor. We thought that strawberries at the height of their season would be the perfect pairing.Keith baked up an incredible shortcake, with a great fluffy texture that is not too sweet. We bought some plump, juicy strawberries from the farmers' market, and he marinated them in a bit of sugar and wine to make them even more delectable. We served this wine-soaked shortcake with some fresh whipped cream and a sprig of fresh mint.
Sparkling Wine-Soaked Strawberry Shortcake goes great with a glass of sparkling rosé, and it is definitely worthy of a special celebration. It is pretty enough to be served at bridal shower, and simple enough to top off a weeknight meal. This one will surely pass the test in my family; I only hope that it will make my momma and my aunties proud. I certainly learned from the best.
This post is sponsored by our friends at Casal Garcia. All opinions are our own.
A fresh and light summer dessert that will leave guests from any gathering begging for more, not to mention asking for the recipe.
- For the Cake:
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, chilled
- 3 large eggs
- 3 additional egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1 3/4 C cake flour
- For the Topping:
- 2pPints fresh strawberries (cleaned and cut)
- 1 C Casal Garcia sparkling rose
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1 pint heavy cream
- mint leaves
- In a large mixing bowl, cut butter up into pieces and allow to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, yolks and vanilla until well-combined.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and make sure rack is placed in middle of oven.
- Grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan.
- Using a mixer set to high, beat butter until creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Continue mixing on medium while slowly adding sugar and mix for 1 minute.
- Increase speed to high again and continue to mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium again and slowly add egg mixture until fully incorporated.
- Mix now on high for 3 minutes,
- Sift flour over mixture in 3-4 step: while folding flour into batter, using spatula until all flour is folded in.
- Pour mix into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean, about an hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- Allow to cool completely for at least 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- To prepare topping:
- In a medium-sized bowl, add sparkling wine and sugar and mix until all sugar has dissolved.
- Add strawberries and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add heavy cream and mix with hand mixer for 4-6 minutes until cream forms medium peaks:
- To assemble the plate:
- Slice cake and lay on plate. Spoon 2 Tbsp of juice from strawberry mixture onto each slice of cake and allow the cake to absorb liquid.
- Top with sliced strawberries and whipped cream and garnish with mint leaves.