Sparkling Wine-Soaked Strawberry Shortcake is a light and sophisticated dessert ideal for summer gatherings.
I come from a long line of strong, kind, and nurturing women. My mother is one of four sisters, all of whom are dear to me in ways I can't begin to describe. Together, they taught me how to navigate the world as a female: with confidence, empathy, humility and faith. They also taught me how to entertain. The parties and showers thrown by my aunties are legendary; the food goes on for miles and the decor is nothing short of a Hollywood film set. I had this standard in mind when Keith and I set out to create this Sparkling Wine-Soaked Strawberry Shortcake.
When our friends at Casal Garcia sent us some of their incredible Sparkling Rosé, we knew we had to create something special. I instantly thought of the many bridal showers my aunties have hosted over the years. I asked Keith to create a dessert worthy of our next family gathering. There is just something so feminine about this sparkling wine, with its beautiful pink hue and its delicately sweet flavor. We thought that strawberries at the height of their season would be the perfect pairing.
Keith baked up an incredible shortcake, with a great fluffy texture that is not too sweet. We bought some plump, juicy strawberries from the farmers' market, and he marinated them in a bit of sugar and wine to make them even more delectable. We served this wine-soaked shortcake with some fresh whipped cream and a sprig of fresh mint.
Sparkling Wine-Soaked Strawberry Shortcake goes great with a glass of sparkling rosé, and it is definitely worthy of a special celebration. It is pretty enough to be served at a bridal shower, but simple enough to top off a weeknight meal. This one will surely pass the test in my family; I only hope that it will make my momma and my aunties proud. I certainly learned from the best.
Need some more sweet recipes for entertaining?
- we recommend Vanilla Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting and Chocolate Pistachio Madeleines
- serve them with some Pink Señoritas or Clementine Champagne Cocktails
This post is sponsored by our friends at Casal Garcia. All opinions are our own.
Sparkling Wine-Soaked Strawberry Shortcake
Upgrade this classic dessert with some sparkling rosé! This fresh and light summer favorite is not just for special occasions.
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 mins
- Yield: 8 portions 1x
For the Cake:
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, chilled
- 3 large eggs
- 3 additional egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ C sugar
- 1 ¾ C cake flour
For the Topping:
- 2pPints fresh strawberries (cleaned and cut)
- 1 C Casal Garcia Sparkling Rosé
- ¼ C sugar
- 1 pint heavy cream
- mint leaves
- In a large mixing bowl, cut butter up into pieces and allow to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, yolks and vanilla until well-combined.
- Preheat oven to 325° and make sure rack is placed in middle of oven.
- Grease and flour a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- Using a mixer set to high, beat butter until creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Continue mixing on medium while slowly adding sugar and mix for 1 minute.
- Increase speed to high again and continue to mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium again and slowly add egg mixture until fully incorporated.
- Mix now on high for 3 minutes.
- Sift flour over mixture in 3-4 steps. While folding flour into batter, using spatula until all flour is folded in.
- Pour mix into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean, about an hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- Allow to cool completely for at least 1 hour and 30 minutes.
To prepare topping:
- In a medium-sized bowl, add sparkling wine and sugar and mix until all sugar has dissolved.
- Add strawberries and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add heavy cream and mix with hand mixer for 4-6 minutes until cream forms medium peaks:
To assemble the plate:
- Slice cake and lay on plate. Spoon 2 tablespoon of juice from strawberry mixture onto each slice of cake and allow the cake to absorb liquid.
- Top with sliced strawberries and whipped cream and garnish with mint leaves.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dessert, strawberry, shortcake, rosé, wine, sparkling
Sparkling wine in shortbread, cool idea.
Hey thanks Matt! We are flattered that you liked it!
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen says
Love this dessert! So perfect for summer, and so pretty too!
Many thanks Mary Ann! We are so happy that you stopped by... and that you liked our shortcake!!
How gorgeous is this!? Such a pretty and delicious spin on a classic dessert. Can't wait to try this out!
This looks delicious and your photography here is so pretty! 🙂