Chocolate Dipped Pistachio Madeleines are a classic French cookie with kiss of chocolate and a lemony finish.
When it comes to desserts, the French know the way to my heart. Never skimping on the important ingredients--butter, cream and sugar—authentic French pastry is an indulgence I find difficult to resist. As a romantic gesture, Keith, the keeper of my heart, treated me to a Modern French Pastry class for my birthday this year. We learned to make a selection of my favorite desserts, including the classic Madeleine.
Taking a cooking class with a loved one is a great way to spend an evening, especially when it is BYOB. At Taste Buds Kitchen, Keith and I swigged wine as we rolled out confections, laughed a lot, and even learned some new skills. I was so excited to learn how to make some of my favorite Parisian treats that I ran right home and ordered myself a Madeleine pan, eager to apply my new knowledge. My first attempt was these Chocolate Dipped Pistachio Madeleines.
Madeleine cookies are my favorite because they are lemony, light and fluffy. In class we learned to make the classic variety with lemon zest and powdered sugar. We decided to add a bit of texture to this recipe by combining chopped pistachios into the batter and dipping them in dark chocolate. They really are quite simple to make, and they only need to bake for five minutes! I am in love with the signature shell shape and the daintiness of these little French treats. I honestly can’t believe I made them myself! What a great birthday present indeed.
This recipe was adapted from Taste Buds Kitchen.Print
These classic French cookies, with a kiss of chocolate & a sprinkle of chopped pistachios, are elegant, yet so easy to make!
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 tsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 Tbsp milk
- ¾ cup pistachios, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 3.5 oz bars dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl. Beat in vanilla, honey, lemon zest and salt.
- Add flour and baking powder, alternating with milk, and beat until blended.
- Gradually add cooled melted butter in a steady stream, beating until just blended.
- Add ¼ cup chopped pistachios to mix and stir in.
- Spoon approximately 1 T batter into each cookie indentation of Madeleine pan (filling almost to top).
- Bake until puffed and brown (about 5 to 7 minutes).
- Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes in pan, then flip onto cooling rack for an additional 15 minutes.
- Melt chocolate bars in double boiler (or in glass bowl over boiling water in a sauce pan).
- Dip Madeleines in melted chocolate, then dip in remaining chopped pistachios.
- Set finished madeleines on cooling rack for chocolate to harden (about 20 min).
Keywords: Madeleine, cookie, French, chocolate, pistachio, French pastry, dessert, chocolate