A delicious, elegant meal is easier than you think! This simple Lamb Chops recipe (with Mint Aioli) is perfect for entertaining.
What are lamb lollipops (French lamb chops)?
Lamb Lollipops, also known as French lamb chops, are trimmed lamb cutlets where the bone has been cleaned of meat and fat. They make a lovely presentation for a plated dinner or an easy to eat finger food.
Like our Grilled Ribeye Steak, this recipe is surprisingly simple, even though it looks gourmet. We season the chops and grill them to bring out the flavor. Then we brush them with a savory mint aioli. You can't get better than that.
- LAMB CHOPS: ask the butcher for Frenched lamb chops (or lollipop lamb chops)
- OLIVE OIL: use the best quality extra virgin olive oil you can afford
- FRESH MINT: fresh mint leaves
- GARLIC CLOVES: fresh garlic cloves
- FRESH THYME: this herb adds complex flavor
- CARROTS: we like trim-colored carrots as a side dish for this recipe
- FRESH RADISHES:
- RED ONIONS: red baby onions or red pearl onions look great
- SALT and PEPPER
*see recipe card for quantities.
- GRILL: Salt and pepper both sides of chops and brush with olive oil and cook on grill (3 minutes each side).
- MAKE MINT AIOLI: While lamb is cooking, prepare sauce by crushing mint, garlic and thyme in a mortar or place in food processor. Add oil and thyme and mix until well blended. Salt and pepper to taste.
- LET IT REST: When the lamb is done, allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- SERVE: place lamb on a serving plate and drizzle with mint aioli. Serve vegetables in a side dish.
- PAIR: with a great red wine like Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon.
How to cook lamb chops
GRILLED LAMB CHOPS: We prefer grilling lamb chops, as it is super simple and brings out the flavor beautifully. It's also less mess in the kitchen. Season with salt and pepper, brush with olive oil, and grill each side for about 3 minutes.
PAN SEARED LAMB CHOPS: you can also cook chops in a cast iron skillet heated with olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper, and sear each side for 4 to 5 minutes.
We buy Frenched lamb chops because they are already cleaned and the majority of fat is removed. A simple sauce made of mint, garlic, and thyme accents the flavor of the lamb perfectly.
An elevated dish like this deserves a truly special, full bodied Cab. Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon just that. Its velvety, layered flavor perfectly complements the expertly seasoned lamb.
Lamb lollipops taste best when cooked medium rare (seared on the outside and slightly pink in the middle). This is and internal temperature of 130-135° Fahrenheit. Use a thermometer to check the temperature if you are unsure.
What to serve with Lamb Chops
🍅 Making this recipe?
- Please feel free to reach out with questions. We're happy to help.
- If you enjoyed it, please leave us a comment with ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 2 pounds Frenched lamb chops
- ½ C olive oil
- ½ C fresh mint
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 8 oz fresh tri-colored carrots
- 8 oz fresh radishes
- 8 oz red baby onions, peeled
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Cut carrots on a bias in 1" pieces.
- Cut radishes in half.
- Combine carrots and radishes in a bowl and coat with 2 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a baking sheet and add red onions.
- Place in oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Salt and pepper both sides of chops and brush with olive oil and cook on grill (3 minutes each side).
- While lamb is cooking, prepare sauce by crushing mint, garlic and thyme in a mortar or place in food chopper.
- Add oil and thyme and mix until well blended. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When the lamb is done, allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- To serve: place lamb on a serving plate and drizzle with mint aioli.
- Serve vegetables in a side dish and pair with a great wine.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: entrées
- Serving Size: 3 chops
- Calories: 430
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 841.5 mg
- Fat: 21.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.8 g
- Protein: 48.3 g
- Cholesterol: 207 mg
Keywords: lamb, lamb chops, rack of lamb, mint, French, Easter, holiday, lollipop