A classic dish with a rebellious twist, Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri is made with Tomatillos for bold, unique flavor. Best part? It's a gourmet meal in 45 minutes.
Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce is a fairly common dish. But as with many of our recipes, I love to put a twist on tradition. This Superman Cooks concept could not have rung more true than when our friends at Rebellious asked us to create a pairing for their brand new Rebellious Red Blend. We used fresh tomatillos for our chimichurri sauce recipe, give it a bold, acidic flavor. Like our Grilled Flat Iron Steak recipe, it's a delicious meal that's ready in minutes.
- STEAK: use skirt steak or flank steak
- BLACKENING SPICE: use store bought blackened seasoning or make your own using this recipe
- TOMATILLOS: fresh tomatillos are the secret ingredient
- GARLIC CLOVES: fresh, whole garlic cloves
- GREEN ONIONS: (scallions)
- CHERRY TOMATOES: cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- BLACK PEPPERCORNS: freshly ground black pepper
- SALT: kosher salt or sea salt
- OLIVE OIL: use the best quality extra virgin olive oil you can afford
- CILANTRO: fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- LIMES: fresh squeezed lime juice
*see recipe card for quantities.
How to make Chimichurri Sauce (Tomatillo Chimichurri):
- Preheat Oven to 400°.
- Chop veggies: Cut tomatillos in half and green onions in thirds. Place in a bowl with garlic, peppercorns and oil. Toss to coat with oil. Transfer to baking sheet along with the cherry tomatoes.
- Roast the veggies: Roast in oven for 6-8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Blend: Place ¾ of the cilantro along with the roasted veggies (except for the tomatoes) in a food processor and pulse 4-5 times. You want it to have some chunks to it. Add juice from one lime and salt. Stir.
How to cook skirt steak
- Coat Steak with Spices: while the veggies are roasting, coat the steak with the blackening spice.
- Grill Steak: Grill for 3 minutes on each side.
- Let it Rest: remove steak from grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice Steak Against the Grain: to slice the steak, find the grain of the meat and cut against it in ¼" strips. Place on serving plate.
- Top with Chimichurri Sauce: Pour sauce down the middle and garnish with tomatoes and remaining cilantro. Serve warm.
What to serve with Chimichurri Steak
- a side of cheesy Mexican Street Corn perfectly complements this steak
- a skillet Tex-Mex Skillet Fiesta Cornbread balances this dish out. No need for butter. You can dip the bread in the extra Chimichurri Sauce!
- add a simple Grilled Romaine Caesar Salad for a weeknight meal in minutes!
Rebellious Red Blend is a beautiful red blend that evokes the rebellious spirit of nature. It's unpredictable, unforgiving, and unapologetic. Its bright, vibrant flavors of blueberries and allspice pair perfectly with our bold and unique skirt steak recipe. Our goal was to take a classic dish and create something that would be hearty and bold, yet simple enough to prepare in a short time.
This post is sponsored by our friends at Rebellious. All opinions are our own.
- STORE leftover steak and Chimichurri sauce in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
- MAKE AHEAD: make Chimichurri ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- FREEZE leftover steak in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- REHEAT refrigerated steak in a sauté pan or microwave. Thaw frozen steak in the refrigerator before reheating.
More Steak recipes
The thinness of this cut make it ideal for grilling. It is best cooked under high heat for short periods of time.
We like flat iron steak at a medium rare (internal temperature of 120° to 135°F). This takes about 3 minutes per side, depending on the grill and the cut of meat. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature before pulling it off the grill.
🍅 Making this recipe?
- Please feel free to reach out with questions. We're happy to help.
- If you enjoyed it, please leave us a comment with ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 1 tbsp blackening spice
- 6 tomatillos
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 green onions
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ C olive oil
- 1 C chopped cilantro
- 2 limes
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut tomatillos in half and green onions in thirds. Place in a bowl with garlic, peppercorns and oil. Toss to coat with oil.
- Transfer to baking sheet along with the cherry tomatoes.
- Roast in oven for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While the veggies are roasting, coat the steak with the blackening spice and grill for 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Place ¾ of the cilantro along with the roasted veggies except for the tomatoes in a food processor and plus 4-5 times. You want it to have some chunks to it.
- Add juice from one lime and salt and stir.
- To slice the steak, find the grain of the meat and cut against it in ¼ inch strips and place on serving plate.
- Pour sauce down the middle and garnish with tomatoes and remaining cilantro.
- Serve while warm.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: grilling
- Method: n/a
- Cuisine: southwestern
- Serving Size: 4 ounces
- Calories: 451
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 1277.8 mg
- Fat: 31.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.7 g
- Protein: 29.3 g
- Cholesterol: 103.1 mg
Keywords: skirt steak, grilling, grilled, tomatillo, chimichurri, cilantro, meat, steak