This asparagus dish will forever hold a special place in my heart. Keith made this for me on our first Valentine’s Day as part of a spectacular meal. I will never forget that day. Keith’s cooking has a way of making you feel loved and taken care of. He effortlessly created this reduction with balsamic vinegar, rosemary, and a bit of sugar. It makes every crisp bite of one of my favorite vegetables even better. As Valentine’s Day approaches again, I asked him to make it for us to feature on our site.
I love asparagus: that funny looking vegetable that tastes oh-so-good. I had always eaten it steamed and plain as a side dish until I met Keith. His simple balsamic reduction adds just the right amount of flavor to this already perfect veggie. It tastes almost sinful, but it’s not. It also works with a variety of other veggies.
What better way to show your love for someone than to prepare them a gorgeous and super flavorful plate of veggies? This asparagus dish is sure to please.
A gourmet way to dress up any vegetable or side dish
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 1/2 C balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch black pepper
- I pinch orange zest
- Heat vinegar in medium sauce pan over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add rosemary, sugar, and black pepper and heat for 10 more minutes over medium heat.
- Add orange zest and cook until mixture reduces to about half ( about 15 minutes )
- Cut rough end off asparagus and steam (covered) in large sauté pan with 1/4 C water until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Remove asparagus from pan and place on plate. Drizzle balsamic glaze over and enjoy.