The Ultimate Umami Burger is a hearty, satisfying burger with incredible flavor in each bite.Burgers are a staple at our house; we love them in many different ways. The traditional beef burger is always my go-to when I’m looking for a quick way to grill some meat for a tasty meal in a hurry. Jackie has turned me on to many burger alternatives to the traditional beef patty. When we met, she was eating veggie burgers all the time (she still does). Now I have to say that I am not a particular fan of the veggie burger variety, but there are times when they make it on the table because Jackie likes them so much. Jackie has nurtured me to develop a liking for black bean burgers and turkey burgers, both which we have been able to create recipes in our library that I actually like!This Umami Burger has quickly moved to the top of my list of burger options. It is one that combines fresh ground beef with ground mushrooms for a very tender but firm bite. The beautiful flavors of the bagel seasoning along with the garlic help the flavors explode when you bite into this burger. Now for all you mushroom haters out there, I can tell you that you will not be able to see or taste this in the burger, I swear! I believe the mushrooms work to give this burger an extra sense of tenderness and earthy flavor. The addition of the sweet and tangy sauce works perfectly with this blend, in my opinion.
I would challenge everyone to try this Umami Burger for your next family cookout, even if you have to hide the fact that there are mushrooms involved. Some of our family members (who shall remain nameless) still have no idea they have been eating mushrooms for ages! I know that's not nice, but as a dad, you sometimes you have to work in the vegetables any way you can.
Looking for a better burger? Ground mushrooms add the most incredible texture & flavor to a traditional patty. Grill up an Ultimate Umami Burger tonight!
- 12 oz ground beef
- 8 ounce mushrooms (we used crimini)
- 1 tbsp everything bagel seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- ½ C Chili sauce
- ¼ C Gojuchang paste
- ¼ C brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder.
- Start by chopping mushrooms (by hand or in a food processor) until they resemble the size of rice.
- Pour mushroom mix over ground beef along with chopped garlic and bagel seasoning. Mix together, trying to work beef as little as possible.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal portions and set in refrigerator until ready to cook.
- To make the sauce, simply combine all ingredients in small saucepan and cook over medium low heat for 10-15 minutes and then allow to cool.
- The burgers can be cooked either in skillet, on the stove, or on a char-grill.
- Cook burgers for 4-5 minutes on one side and flip burger and cook an additional 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow burger to rest for 2-3 minutes.
- To build the burger place some of the sauce on the bottom of the bun, add your burger and your favorite toppings and enjoy.
Keywords: burger, mushroom, umami, alternative, tender, grill, grilling, cookout, meat