Creamy, dreamy homemade Mushroom Alfredo is a family favorite you'll be making on repeat. No cheese wheel needed!
It’s not every day you get to make Pasta Alfredo in a cheese wheel. That’s why we were beyond excited to work with Piave PDO Cheese and Garda Sparkling Wine on a special project for their partnership, Garda Piave: “a perfect pairing from Europe”. We spent several days shooting these fantastic cheeses and sparkling wines from Northern Italy. And when Keith found out we were getting a whole wheel of cheese, he was dying to create a pasta dish using it as the serving bowl.
Don’t worry. Like our Pasta Pomodoro or Tagliatelle Pasta with Mushrooms, this recipe does not require a cheese wheel! It’s really just a fancy prop that happens to be fun to work with. Watching the hot pasta melt the cheese is a bonus.
This classic pasta recipe is good all year round. It’s comfort food to us: creamy, decadent and delicious (kinda like Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese). Using a sweet and intense cheese like Piave Vecchio, made with the finest quality ingredients from the Veneto region of Italy, is the key to the unmistakable flavor of Mushroom Alfredo. The earthy flavor of sautéed mushrooms adds a level of complexity your family will love.
- PASTA: we like linguine because it absorbs this sauce best. You can also use tagliatelle, angel hair pasta or spaghetti.
- Piave Vecchio Cheese: if you can't find this, Parmigiano Reggiano (fresh Parmesan) is a good substitute.
- LEMON: freshly squeezed lemon juice gives the sauce a light, fresh flavor
- MUSHROOMS: we used Baby Bella mushrooms here. You can also use button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms or Shitake mushrooms.
- GARLIC: fresh garlic cloves
- HEAVY CREAM and HALF AND HALF: we use a mixture of heavy cream and half and half to achieve a rich flavor without being too heavy.
- BUTTER: we like salted butter. Unsalted butter works too.
- BASIL: fresh basil
- SALT: we like kosher salt or sea salt
- PEPPER: freshly ground black pepper
*see recipe card for quantities.
- COOK PASTA: Boil pasta according to package directions. When done, drain and reserve ½ C pasta water.
- SAUTÉ MUSHROOMS: While pasta is boiling, slice mushrooms ¼" thick. Place in sauté pan with 3 tablespoon butter and sauté until done (about 5 minutes).
- MAKE ALFREDO SAUCE: In a separate sauce pan, melt remaining butter. Add cream and half and half, along with garlic cloves. Warm over medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
- MIX PASTA WITH ALFREDO: Place pasta noodles in a large bowl. Add salt, pepper, reserved pasta water, and cheese. Then pour warmed liquid over while tossing together with 2 spoons. Continue until Cheese has all melted and the sauce is thickened.
- PLATE: Top Pasta Alfredo with sautéed mushrooms and fresh lemon juice. Garnish with chopped basil. Serve warm.
Fresh, quality ingredients make the best Alfredo Sauce. Use good quality, Italian cheese like Piave Vecchio or Parmigiano Reggiano. Do not use pre-grated or canned parmesan cheese.
- PROTEIN: add Grilled Chicken, Grilled Shrimp, or Italian Sausage for a heartier meal.
- PASTA OPTIONS: Alfredo Sauce works with almost any pasta. We like spaghetti, rigatoni, penne, or even tortellini.
- ADD WINE: add a splash of white wine to the sauce for more developed flavor.
- SPICY: add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes after plating for a kick!
We can't stop thinking about the day on our back deck when we enjoyed this pasta, made right in the cheese wheel, with a bottle of Garda Sparkling Rosé. It truly is a perfect pairing. Life doesn't get much better than that.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat in a sauté pan over medium heat, adding olive oil if necessary.
This post is sponsored by our friends at Garda Piave. All opinions are our own.
Yes! These are similar. Just remember to use a mixture of heavy cream and half and half so that the sauce is not too rich.
This is normal! Sometimes Alfredo Sauce takes time to thicken. The key is to be patient.
🍅 Making this recipe?
- Please feel free to reach out with questions. We're happy to help.
- If you enjoyed it, please leave us a comment with ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 1 pound linguine noodles
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 ½ C Piave Vecchio Cheese, shredded
- 1 C heavy cream
- ½ C half & half
- 6 tbsp butter, divided
- 3 garlic cloves
- juice from 1 lemon (approximately ¼ cup)
- 5-6 basil leaves
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Boil pasta according to package directions. When done, drain and reserve ½ C pasta water.
- While pasta is boiling, slice mushrooms ¼" thick. Place in sauté pan with 3 tablespoon butter and sauté until done (about 5 minutes).
- In a separate sauce pan, melt remaining butter and add cream and ½ & ½ along with garlic cloves and warm over medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Place pasta noodles in a large bowl and add salt, pepper, reserved pasta water and cheese and then pour warmed liquid over while tossing together with 2 spoons.
- Continue until Cheese has all melted and the sauce is thickened.
- Top with sautéed mushrooms, lemon juice and garnish with chopped basil.
- Serve warm.
- This recipe was made in a whole cheese wheel of Piave Cheese, however we have modified it to be made without the entire wheel. Still just as delicious!
- If you can't find Piave cheese, a good substitute is Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: pasta
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 574
- Sugar: 5.3 g
- Sodium: 518.7 mg
- Fat: 24.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 72.3 g
- Protein: 15.7 g
- Cholesterol: 66.8 mg
Keywords: pasta, Alfredo, linguini, fettuccini, cream, cheese, Piave, wheel, mushroom, lemon