Asparagus Flatbread Pizza is a veggie lover's delight, ready in 30 minutes!
Is it a flatbread or is it a pizza? That is the question. Honestly, we do not know the technical difference between the two, but we do know that both are delicious. Jackie and I classify anything that resembles pizza and does not contain sauce as a “flatbread”. Agree or disagree, we think that this Asparagus & Mushroom Flatbread is a winner no matter what you call it. We do think that this recipe is a vegetarian's delight. With asparagus in full season and very abundant at every farmers’ market, we thought it was the perfect vegetable to top a crispy base.
Asparagus is great by itself, but the marriage between asparagus and mushrooms is a match made in heaven. Just check out our Mushroom & Asparagus Quiche if you need another good example. The addition of the red onions takes this flavor profile to a magical place. The colors themselves complement each other, while the combination of flavors is just insane.
Superman Cooks tip: it's okay to use store-bought pizza dough for this Asparagus Flatbread recipe. It's fast and easy!
For this recipe, we opted for the sharpness of asiago cheese instead of a traditional mozzarella, because these veggies needed the subtle bite. This is a great addition to a simple salad, and will make for a quick and easy weeknight meal. The addition of pesto gives this flatbread pizza the perfect balance between crunchy and savory. If you would happen to have leftovers, this meal tastes fantastic when warmed in a hot oven for a few minutes to make for quick snack.Print
A veggie lover's delight with a perfectly grilled crust, in-season produce and amazing asiago cheese.
- 1 pre-made pizza dough
- 4 ounces asparagus spears
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms
- ¼ c flour
- 1 ounce fresh red onion slivers
- ½ C pre-made pesto sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ c olive oil
- 6 oz asiago cheese
- Preheat oven to 550°.
- Using a room temperature pizza crust, roll it out on counter covered with flour. Its best if you roll it out into a natural shape.
- Allow dough to set while slicing mushrooms into ⅛" slices and asparagus into 2-3 inch pieces.
- Spread dough with pesto sauce and and garlic chopped into small pieces. Place mushrooms and asparagus on top and place in oven for 6-8 minutes on a baking stone or pizza pan.
- After 6 minutes add shredded asiago cheese and red onions and return to oven for 6-8 minutes or until crust is crispy and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with olive oil and enjoy.