Got tomatoes? Our light, fresh Tomato Tart recipe makes a great tasting appetizer or light meal. Sweet tomato slices top a lemon ricotta flatbread crust.
Garden fresh, vine ripe tomatoes shine in this easy Tomato Tart recipe. This light and savory tart (also known as Tomato Flatbread) features a crunchy homemade crust, covered in lemon ricotta, and topped with sweet, juicy tomatoes. Like our Burrata Toast recipe, It's an excellent showcase for the fresh herbs and vegetables from your garden (or purchase at the local farmer's market). You can taste summer in every bite.
This is delicious gourmet flatbread is so easy to make (like our Grilled Arugula Pizza), but it looks like it takes hours.
- PIZZA DOUGH: make our homemade Pizza Dough, or use store bought pizza dough. We cut the dough into 5"x 5" squares for this presentation.
- RICOTTA CHEESE: we used low fat ricotta cheese
- GARLIC: fresh garlic cloves
- BASIL: fresh basil leaves
- LEMON: fresh lemon, for zest and lemon juice added to cheese base
- TOMATOES: we used assorted tomatoes from the garden sliced ¼" thick: cherry tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes all work.
- SALT: we like kosher salt or sea salt
- PEPPER: freshly ground black pepper
*see recipe card for quantities.
- Prepare the crust: use our Pizza Dough recipe, store-bought dough, or frozen puffed pastry.
- Pre-heat oven to 425°.
- Make Lemony Herb Ricotta: In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta, juice from one lemon, zest from lemon, and 3 leaves of diced fresh basil.
- Spread Ricotta on Crust: Lay flat bread on parchment lined sheet pan or baking sheet. Cover with cheese mixture spreading a layer ¼" thick.
- Top with tomatoes: slice tomatoes ¼" thick and layer on top of cheese (using different colors and varieties of tomatoes helps with the presentation).
- Add Garlic: finely dice garlic and sprinkle over tomatoes.
- Bake: Place in oven for 12-15 minutes (or until dough is crispy and golden brown).
- Season: Remove from oven and sprinkle with coarse salt and cracked pepper. Sprinkle with snipped fresh basil and enjoy.
HINT: score the edges of the dough all the way around so the crust does not curl up when baking (it looks pretty too!).
- VEGGIE LOVERS: add some more garden veggies! Sliced zucchini, peppers, and onions all work. Also try our Asparagus Flatbread recipe!
- MEAT LOVERS: add slices of pepperoni, Soppressata, or crumbled Italian sausage.
- BEE STING: add a drizzle of honey to make our famous Bee Sting Pizza.
- PUFF PASTRY: for a flaky, sweet crust. Follow package instructions.
- SAVE TIME: use a store bought flatbread for the crust. Bake directly on the oven rack for about 7 minutes
For a thin, crispy crust: Roll the dough out very thin before topping and bake it on a hot pizza stone.
Got leftovers? Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Warm up the tart in a 400° oven for just a few minutes. It will crisp up the crust. Drizzle with olive oil to freshen up the Tomato Tarts.
We love creamy ricotta cheese, seasoned with lemon and herbs for the base of this tart. You can also add fresh mozzarella, gruyere, parmesan, or goat cheese.
If using pizza dough, bake using a pizza stone or a perforated pizza pan.
🍅 Making this recipe?
- Please feel free to reach out with questions. We're happy to help.
- If you enjoyed it, please leave us a comment with ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 4 5" x 5" flat breads (use our Pizza Dough recipe, store bought pizza dough, or puff pastry)
- 1 C ricotta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6-7 leaves of fresh basil
- 1 lemon
- 2 C assorted tomatoes sliced ¼ inch thick
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425°.
- In a mixing bowl combine ricotta, juice from one lemon, zest from lemon, and 3 leaves of diced fresh basil.
- Lay flat bread on parchment lined baking pan and cover with cheese mixture spreading a layer ¼ in thick.
- Slice tomatoes ¼ inch thick and layer on top of cheese. Using different colors and varieties helps with the presentation.
- Finely dice garlic and sprinkle over tomatoes.
- Place in oven for 12-15 minutes until dough is brown
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with coarse salt and cracked pepper.
- Sprinkle with snipped fresh basil and enjoy
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 405
- Sugar: 3.7 g
- Sodium: 828.5 mg
- Fat: 8.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 64.9 g
- Protein: 16.4 g
- Cholesterol: 31.6 mg
Keywords: flatbread, pizza, tart, tomato, tomatoes, garden, vine ripe, ricotta, appetizer