Blistered Shishito Peppers with Orange Zest are a savory and healthy alternative to traditional bar food.We recently discovered Shishito Peppers, and we are forever changed. The inspiration for these Blistered Shishito Peppers with Orange Zest came to us from one of our favorite burger and beer joints in the city, Cooper’s Craft & Kitchen. We had been noticing Shishito Peppers on menus all over the place, and we could no longer ignore them once one of our favorite haunts started serving them with craft beer.I have to say that I created this dish mostly for my consumption, as Jackie is not a big fan of peppers in general. She likes the flavor that they give food, but she is not one to eat any kind of pepper (sweet or hot) by itself. Initially I was not sure what to expect. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that these peppers are sweet and quite mild. I found that the flavor of orange and the subtle heat of crushed red pepper created a unique (and very addicting) flavor combination. I even got my pepper-opposed girl to eat a few and admit that they were interesting.
Whatever your opinion of peppers, these babies are worth a shot. They are full of flavor and taste great as a healthy alternative to traditional bar food. They look like they pack a punch, but these Blistered Shishito Peppers are so mild and sweet, they could almost pass as dessert. I recommend a heaping portion with an ice-cold beer (superman cooks style). Cheers!
Blistered Shishito Peppers recipe (with Orange Zest)
A sweet pepper full of flavor that is simple, savory, and completely addicting.
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2-4 portions 1x
- 1 quart fresh Shishito Peppers
- 1 orange
- ¼ C red pepper thinly julienned
- 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- coarse salt to taste
- Zest one orange and set aside
- Juice remaining orange (to equal ¼ C) and place in medium mixing bowl. Add crushed red pepper and shishito peppers. Toss to coat
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Remove peppers from orange juice, place on baking sheet and sprinkle red peppers on top and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until peppers are blistered.
- Remove from oven and place in serving bowl. Salt and toss with orange zest.
- Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Japanese-American
Leave a Reply