Fire-Roasted Jalapeño Popper Potato Skins are a game day appetizer with pizzazz!
Like many people this week, we are gearing up for the big game. In celebration of one of our favorite food days of the year, I asked Keith to create something extra special for football fans and foodies alike. These Fire-Roasted Jalapeño Popper Potato Skins are just the ticket for a game day extravaganza.
For us, the “ceremony” of Super Bowl watching is just as important as the game itself. Keith can be found in the kitchen hours before kickoff, crafting a series of appetizers worthy of game day grazing. Sometimes it’s just the two of us, sometimes the kids are around, and once in a while we even invite a few close friends. Regardless of the guest list, the food is always center stage and plentiful. Our menu befits a Super Bowl party for twenty, even if it’s just us two.
These Jalapeño Popper Potato Skins are right in Keith’s wheelhouse. They combine two of our favorite classic appetizers into one perfect dish. The creamy potato filling and crispy skin is uniquely flavored with a fiery kick of jalapeño, instantly cooled by a dollop of sour cream. Each bite is better than the last, and they are sure to satisfy a legion of football fans and casual party goers alike.
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped (reserve some for garnish)
- 4 jalapeño peppers
- 2 green onions chopped.
- 1 C shredded cheese (reserve some for garnish)
- 2 tbsp butter
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and bake potatoes until done (about 45 minutes )
- While potatoes are cooking, place whole jalapeño peppers over open flame on stove and turn until skin is completely black.
- Rinse peppers under cool water and rub until skin has been removed.
- Seed and dice peppers into ⅛" pieces.
- Allow potatoes to cool (can be used up to 4 days later)
- Cut potatoes in half. Remove ¾ of the potato "meat" and place in a mixing bowl.
- Combine potato with jalapeños, cream cheese, shredded cheese, green onions, bacon and butter.
- Mix until well-combined.
- Take potato skins and fill with potato mixture and place on baking sheet,
- Place in 350° oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and garnish with bacon and cheese.
- Serve with sour cream.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 potato
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 305.6 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.2 g
- Protein: 7.8 g
- Cholesterol: 50 mg
Keywords: appetizer, bacon, cheese, football, game day, jalapeño, popper, potato, potato skins, Super Bowl, tailgate