Charred Broccoli & Farro Salad is healthy and satisfying lunch option, made with pantry staples.Lunch at home has become a routine, one that frankly I am not used to. After two weeks at home, what was once an exciting lunch has now become mundane. So I asked Keith to come up with some new and interesting menu items to make lunch at home exciting again. This Charred Broccoli Salad with Farro is my favorite of his recent creations. It takes salad to a whole new level, and it can be made with ingredients that are stocked in the pantry.I have recently fallen in love with charred broccoli. It is amazing how a simple technique can change the complexion of a familiar vegetable. I began eating charred broccoli as part of my market bowls from Dig, one of my favorite lunch spots in New York. Keith laughed at me when I asked him how to char broccoli. After years of working with him on our blog, it still amazes me how little I know about cooking (I guess that’s why I am the photographer, not the chef).Charred broccoli is the star of this show, and it is perfectly complemented with roasted beets, farro, and toasted cashews (any nut can be used here in a pinch). Drizzled with a homemade vinaigrette, this salad hits the spot; it’s delicious and nutritious. This lunch makeover is on point.
Charred Broccoli & Farro Salad
Give your boring lunch routine a makeover with Charred Broccoli & Farro Salad! This delicious vegetarian dish is satisfying for lunch or as a colorful side.
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
1 C cooked farro (we added salt, pepper, and 1 chopped clove of garlic to the water as it cooked)
2 crowns of broccoli, cut into 1 inch pieces.
2 C chopped beets
½ C olive oil, divided
½ C cashew pieces
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black coarse ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Line baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Place cut broccoli in a medium bowl and toss with ¼ c olive oil and peeled garlic cloves.
- Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes or until you get a "charred" appearance.
- In a small sauté pan, place cashews over medium high heat and toss with a couple drops of olive oil and cook tossing frequently for 3-4 minutes.
- Combine remaining olive oil, juice of 1 lemon, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Remove garlic cloves from baking tray and place in bowl with dressing and smash with a fork and mix to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cooked broccoli, farro, beets and cashews and toss with lemon dressing.
- Serve Warm
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 371
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 435.5 mg
- Fat: 26 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.3 g
- Protein: 6.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: farro, salad, Broccoli, cashews, nuts, beets, lemon juice, entree, hearty, vegetarian, entrée, vinaigrette, pantry
[…] 13. Charred Broccoli and Farro Salad […]