Eggs Benedict are one of our favorite breakfasts. But we don't usually have time to prepare this dish on a weekdays because of our busy schedules. I am sure most of you can say the same thing. I am trying, however, to make more of an effort with every meal these days, because I know the end result is worth the time it takes to prepare a tasty dish. Some mornings, Jackie poaches an egg or two and places it on a toasted English muffin, throws some everything bagel seasoning on top and calls it a day. This is great and in a pinch will work, but think of how much better it could be when made in a true Benedict style with an Italian twist.
For this Italian Style Eggs Benedict, we used a powdered hollandaise sauce mix (shhh!), and mixed in a bit of pre-made pesto sauce. It gave us a great finish to the dish. This is what would have been the most intimidating part of a traditional Benedict, so be assured that buying the mix will make this dish very simple to prepare. We started with a large sandwich size English muffin, topped it with roasted red peppers, fresh prosciutto and a perfectly poached egg. Top it with your pesto hollandaise sauce and a little squeeze of fresh lemon and you will not be disappointed.
Now it is completely up to you if you decide to tell your family that you made the sauce from a packet. I will guarantee you that the parade of flavors this Italian Style Eggs Benedict brings will leave your family satisfied and never question if its homemade.
- 2 large English muffins
- 4 ounces prosciutto
- 2 large roasted red peppers
- 4 eggs
- ½ lemon
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 C hollandaise sauce
- 1 Tbsp pesto sauce
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
To poach eggs:
- Place a sauce pan on medium heat. Add 2 inches of water and vinegar and heat until bubbles start. Maintain this heat and do not let water boil.
To make the Eggs Benedict:
- Crack eggs directly into water and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Toast English muffins, lightly butter and top with red peppers, prosciutto.
- Using a slotted spoon gently lift eggs out of the water making sure that the water drains off the spoon.
- Top each muffin with an egg.
- Mix the hollandaise sauce and the pesto together and top eggs with sauce. Gently squeeze lemon juice on top and serve.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Italian American
Keywords: brunch, breakfast, benedict, egg, hollandaise, prosciutto, ham, pesto, shower, party